Subwoofer Overkill?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello,

I'm considering "upgrading" my two subs and found this from JL Audio, but wonder if it's too much sub for my room.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136E112ASH/JL-Audio-E-Sub-e112-Black-Ash.html

JL Audio E-Sub e112
1500 watts, 12" woofer 21-120 Hz (-3db)

my current subs: two Definitive Technology ProSub 800, 8" woofer, 300 watts

Room size, approx 4800 cubic feet. 23x23x9 (however 1/3 of that is kitchenette, bathroom, closet space)

A pair would set me back about $4k, is there something less expensive which would suit my space?

Thanks for the ideas!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No, two E112s would definitely not be too much for your space. The E112s aren't bad, but for performance for the dollar, you can certainly do better (the e112 has been tested thoroughly here). If you need something in gloss black, take a look at the Rythmik F15HP or SVS SB-4000 or SVS SB16-Ultra. If you don't need a gloss black finish, look at the Hsu UL-15 mk2. I am assuming this is only for music, by the way, as these are ported subs and aren't great performers under 30 Hz (the SB16-Ultra is not shabby for deep bass though, especially for a sealed 15"). If you want subs that can do deep movie bass, you need to look at the ported versions of these subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
JLs are pretty and small and you pay a premium for that. Like shady sez....

It won't take much sub to exceed the capabilities of the DT subs you have, tho.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I will sell you a pair of used e112's for that price in excellent condition.
The catch is I am not willing to ship them. I have the original boxes and packaging, but the packaging is standard styrofoam and most of it was torn. I am not comfortable reusing it.
Tell me where you are located and I might be able to deliver.

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

I'm considering "upgrading" my two subs and found this from JL Audio, but wonder if it's too much sub for my room.

JL Audio E-Sub e112
1500 watts, 12" woofer 21-120 Hz (-3db)

my current subs: two Definitive Technology ProSub 800, 8" woofer, 300 watts

Room size, approx 4800 cubic feet. 23x23x9 (however 1/3 of that is kitchenette, bathroom, closet space)

A pair would set me back about $4k, is there something less expensive which would suit my space?

Thanks for the ideas!
I put a system together that could literally drop the Sheetrock in my home. It consists of two RBH 1010sen passive subs with a Crown that puts out a very solid 450 wpc in 4 ohm. When I tried to set the max sub volume parm on my Pioneer, everything came alive.....my walls, windows, doors, ceiling. They scared the hell out of me. The amp has clip indicators. They never flickered. The 4 drivers leaped out of their frames, but never came close to max. I paid 400.00 for the two subs, 298.00 for the amp from zzounds. I only need one. Two is overkill.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I put a system together that could literally drop the Sheetrock in my home. It consists of two RBH 1010sen passive subs with a Crown that puts out a very solid 450 wpc in 4 ohm. When I tried to set the max sub volume parm on my Pioneer, everything came alive.....my walls, windows, doors, ceiling. They scared the hell out of me. The amp has clip indicators. They never flickered. The 4 drivers leaped out of their frames, but never came close to max. I paid 400.00 for the two subs, 298.00 for the amp from zzounds. I only need one. Two is overkill.
But two can help with overhead and smoothing room modes....awesome price for the subs!

@MR.MAGOO any decision yet?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief

JL Audio E-Sub e112

Too much sub for your room? If anything, they're not enough. That's an awful lot of space you have.

A pair would set me back about $4k, is there something less expensive which would suit my space
The E-112 is an excellent subwoofer, but it's not the best bank for the buck. What exactly is your budget? Do you have any size or aesthetic restrictions?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Too much sub for your room? If anything, they're not enough. That's an awful lot of space you have.

The E-112 is an excellent subwoofer, but it's not the best bank for the buck. What exactly is your budget? Do you have any size or aesthetic restrictions?
My apartment.jpg

Here's the floor plan, TOTAL is 505 sq. feet, with 9 foot ceiling makes it about 4500 cu. ft, or is my math wrong? With furniture it doesn't seem like an awful lot of space.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Here's the floor plan, TOTAL is 505 sq. feet, with 9 foot ceiling makes it about 4500 cu. ft, or is my math wrong? With furniture it doesn't seem like an awful lot of space.
Your math is correct.

To you the space may not seem all that big, but subwoofers don't see things the same way you do. By Audioholics own rating system that room is toward the upper end of their Large designation. Big spaces need big subs. Proximity does mitigate that to some extent - the closer you sit to the subwoofer(s) the more benefit you'll get - but physics is still physics.

Personally I like the E-112 (you can read what I think about it at this link) so I'm not suggesting you don't buy them. My only concern is that's a lot of room for some very small subwoofers to overcome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis