Subwoofer Output Vs Woofer Size

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Can anyone offer feedback on the comparison between two subwoofers.

1. B&W-ASW675
2. Velodyne DD-10

I currently own the ASW675, and would like to upgrade to a more powerful subwoofer. what is the jump in performance moving up in size?
Would getting a DD-15 be worth it for the THX-ulta2?

10in
12in
15in
18in

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
lower response

the biggest noticable difference is a lower frequency response. This is a generalization because not all 18's go lower then 15 and so on. Also, a bigger subwoofer will have an easier time filling a larger room with bass. Also a generalization. The only way to get a good idea of subwoofer performance is have it in your room, and audition it. The spec sheet isn't the be all end all of judgung the performance.

sheep

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I can't speak for B&W, but I'll give a big thumbs up on the Velodyne. Even the driver engineer at SVS said he was most impressed with Velodyne in comparison to most other subwoofer companies. As far as sizing goes, a well placed, eq'd 12" will sound better than a poorly placed, non eq'd 15". If your room is only (say for instance) 12x14, you really don't need a 15", especially with the power these amplifiers put out. All things being equal, I'd go for the 12" over the 10" for HT and response, if budget permits.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis