Subwoofer Not Emitting Sound During YPAO Calibration on Yamaha RX-A3080

TheRealOC

TheRealOC

Junior Audioholic
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 3.1 speaker setup on my Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR, and I could use some help troubleshooting it.

1726161508786.jpeg

My Setup:

• AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3080
  • Front LCR Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE (Front Left & Right) and CMT-340SE2 (Center)
  • Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW315
  • Cables:
    • QED XT25 pre-terminated speaker cables connecting the LCR speakers to the AVR’s respective binding posts.
    • Audioquest Black Lab Subwoofer Cable connecting the AVR to the subwoofer.
Connections:

• The QED XT25 speaker cables connect the front left, center, and right speakers to the corresponding binding posts on the AVR.
1726160853573.png
1726160865872.png
1726160970760.png
1726161015968.png

• The Audioquest Black Lab Subwoofer Cable is connected from the Front Subwoofer output (upper white RCA port in the middle of the AVR’s rear panel) to the Input 2/Mono (L/Mono) RCA line-level input on the subwoofer.
1726161068019.png
1726161146057.png

1726161247318.png

Calibration Process:

• During the initial YPAO mic calibration, I turned on the subwoofer, set the volume to 50%, and adjusted the High Cut to its maximum (140Hz).
1726161353999.png

• The AVR completed the calibration, but I didn't initially notice that the subwoofer wasn’t emitting any noise (it was 4 am).
  • Later, I assumed the lack of bass might be due to using retro gaming consoles as a source, which might not produce enough low-frequency sounds to trigger the subwoofer.
  • However, when I reset all settings on the AVR and re-ran the YPAO mic calibration, I noticed that the subwoofer still wasn't emitting test noises. Instead, the bass sounds were coming from the center speaker.
Current Situation:

• The subwoofer powers on, and the green light is visible, indicating it's receiving power.
  • Despite this, the subwoofer does not produce any sound during YPAO calibration or normal use.
Questions:

1. Could I have connected the subwoofer incorrectly?
  2. Are there any specific settings on the AVR that I need to check to ensure the subwoofer is receiving signals properly?
  3. Could there be another reason why the subwoofer is not emitting sound during calibration or regular operation?
I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Did you go into the speaker set-up and change the speakers to "Small"? YPAO typically leaves your speakers as "Large" after the calibration process. I would try setting them to Small with a crossover of 80Hz.

TheRealOC

TheRealOC

Junior Audioholic
Did you go into the speaker set-up and change the speakers to "Small"? YPAO typically leaves your speakers as "Large" after the calibration process. I would try setting them to Small with a crossover of 80Hz.
@little wing Thanks for the suggestion! I went into the configuration menu and managed to change the center speaker from "Large" to "Small" and set the crossover frequency to 80Hz. However, I ran into some odd issues:

1. Grayed-Out Front Speaker Configuration: The AVR is detecting the front left and right speakers as "Large" (they have pink dots next to them in the setup menu), but the option to change them to "Small" is grayed out. The speakers are definitely connected and working because they produce sound when I play a GameCube game, but I can't change their configuration in the menu.
  2. Subwoofer Not Detected: The options for "Subwoofer 1" and "Subwoofer 2" are not grayed out in the menu, but when I go into these options, it says "None" for both subwoofers. The subwoofer is powered on (green light is visible), and I’ve set the dials on the subwoofer to high cut at 140Hz and volume at 50%, with the bass mode set to "Music."
It seems like the AVR isn’t detecting the subwoofer correctly, and I'm also unable to change the front speakers from "Large" to "Small."

1726163667200.jpeg
1726163687719.jpeg
1726163694362.jpeg
1726163792932.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
@little wing Thanks for the suggestion! I went into the configuration menu and managed to change the center speaker from "Large" to "Small" and set the crossover frequency to 80Hz. However, I ran into some odd issues:

1. Grayed-Out Front Speaker Configuration: The AVR is detecting the front left and right speakers as "Large" (they have pink dots next to them in the setup menu), but the option to change them to "Small" is grayed out. The speakers are definitely connected and working because they produce sound when I play a GameCube game, but I can't change their configuration in the menu.
  2. Subwoofer Not Detected: The options for "Subwoofer 1" and "Subwoofer 2" are not grayed out in the menu, but when I go into these options, it says "None" for both subwoofers. The subwoofer is powered on (green light is visible), and I’ve set the dials on the subwoofer to high cut at 140Hz and volume at 50%, with the bass mode set to "Music."
It seems like the AVR isn’t detecting the subwoofer correctly, and I'm also unable to change the front speakers from "Large" to "Small."

View attachment 69421View attachment 69422View attachment 69423View attachment 69424
My guess is that your sub actually is not working. Since it shows a green light, I suspect a wire has come off one or both speaker terminals.

First step is to connect an audio source like a disc player or headphone output of a phone, to the sub in of the subwoofer. If you get sound then the sub is OK, if no sound then the sub is not OK. If that is the case remove the woofer and see if both wires are connected to the driver.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Did you make sure this is set to "Use"

Looks like your AVR doesnt know there is a sub there....your Pattern says "large".

View attachment 69421View attachment 69422View attachment 69423View attachment 69424

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My guess is that the front speakers are greyed out and set to small because your subwoofer setting is set to "None" (second last photo). Go back into the Subwoofer 1 setting and select "Use". Your description of the connections sounds correct. With the Subwoofer set to "Use" you should then be able to set the front speakers to small.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

You should have the subwoofer set to "Use" not none. If your front speakers are indeed connected to the FRONT speaker terminals on the back of the AVR, the Front speaker option should not be grayed out. You should have the option to set them to small. I use the RX A-3060, so I'm familiar with this menu. How long have you had the AVR, since new, or purchased second hand or refurb?

TheRealOC

TheRealOC

Junior Audioholic
My guess is that the front speakers are greyed out and set to small because your subwoofer setting is set to "None" (second last photo). Go back into the Subwoofer 1 setting and select "Use". Your description of the connections sounds correct. With the Subwoofer set to "Use" you should then be able to set the front speakers to small.
Perfect! Holy poop, is it ever working... :D

TheRealOC

TheRealOC

Junior Audioholic
By the way, does anyone happen to know if there's a workaround to get the RX-A2040 working on the MusicCast app? Or is desktop only for the first gen of Yamaha's AVRs?

1726250882169.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis