Subwoofer Hookup- LFE or not?

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
Hi- Forgive me if this is a dumb or obvious question, but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a solution. I just set up a fairly simple home theater in my family room. 5.1.2 Atmos, Middle of the line Denon receiver, Monoprice sub. I connected the sub to the amp by way of the LFE (RCA/Coax) connection. Frankly, when playing video games (PS4) or watching movies (Apple tv 4k) it sounds pretty good! great bass and I'm happy. BUT.... I can't seem to get any bass output when playing streamed music. Neither my sonos (connected to the Denon) nor my apple tv puts out any LFE bass signal when streaming from any source (Apple music, Google Play, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc). What am I missing??? Can I use my sub for both movies and music? If so, how? Do I not use LFE and go direct from speaker outputs (but then I lose the .1. LFE signal in my movies). Is there a different/better way to stream music? Better source to stream from? Better way to connect the sub? Have I missed a setting on the receiver???
I'm willing to do just about anything. Appreciate any help or advice you can give. Thanks!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Which Denon are we talking about? Did you run Audyssey, did it set your speakers to large or small? Small means it employs bass management, which is what you want in order for the sub to get used for music. Depending on the model, you also do NOT want to use direct mode for music listening as that will often not employ your subs.

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
Which Denon are we talking about? Did you run Audyssey, did it set your speakers to large or small? Small means it employs bass management, which is what you want in order for the sub to get used for music. Depending on the model, you also do NOT want to use direct mode for music listening as that will often not employ your subs.
You nailed it! I hadn’t run Auydessy yet and my speakers were set to large. Ran the setup. Sub working with music. thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis