subwoofer equalizer

D

docferdie

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>is there any readily available equalizer that I can use to flatten out my subwoofer's frequency response? I just got an MK v76 and it has usable bass to 20hz so I'm willing to try and tune this sub. If this is too painful a process would like to know that as well.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I highly recommend the Behringer DSP-1124. &nbsp;It has a 10 band parametric eq and can store 12 preset settings. &nbsp;The unit is very flexible and powerful, and pretty affordable. &nbsp;You can usually find one for under $140. &nbsp;Be aware that it has only TRS &amp; XLR inputs- you'll need some adapter cables or plugs. &nbsp;Don't worry, though, both are cheap and readily available.

My advice? &nbsp;Get a Radio Shack SPL meter and the Rives Test CD (it's already got tones with values corrected for the known deviations from flat of the RS meter). &nbsp;Get a peice of graph paper and from the spot you'll be doing the listening (aka &quot;the money seat&quot;) plot the curve of your room. &nbsp;Choose a volume setting and leave it there; you may later change it &amp; remeasure, but leave it the same til you're done. &nbsp;Then make your adjustments and plot it again.

You'll never get the deep bass completely ruler flat, but you can make it a lot better. &nbsp;Don't attempt to EQ out dips, it usually isn't practical/possible. &nbsp;Use the Parametric EQ function only on peaks; they're more noticeable anyway.

I don't know of any affordable EQ that will do a better job. &nbsp;Parametric EQ is the best kind of EQ, much better than the graphic EQs with the sliders. &nbsp;It allows you to choose the &quot;Q&quot; of the boost/cut, as well as the width of the notch. &nbsp;A graphic EQ will only boost/cut on the center that's represented with a slider- with that type you choose only the amplitude.

If you don't wanna mess w/parametric EQ, for about $300 AudioControl makes a nice 1/3 octave graphic bass EQ in their Richter Scale. &nbsp;Not as precise but a bit easier to use.

Hope this helps.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>I just ordered the test CD, I picked up an ART 352 31band graphic EQ from a music shop about a week ago. Got it for 100 bucks. I have some really bad peaks in my room, I hope this will help smooth it out a bit.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I'm not sure what freq's the ART is setup to EQ, but as long as there's some really low bass ones, it should work okay. &nbsp;Same technique as mentioned above.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Rob, the sliders are 20,25,31.5,40,50,63,80,100,125,and up. I only have it inline with the sub so I am not using the upper bands. Actually I have the sub crossed over at 80 so the 100 and 125 are not being used either.

Why do I keeping typing Bob when your name is Rob? what's the matter with me?  

Don't answer that
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis