Subwoofer equalization?

S

sewround

Audiophyte
I primarily would like to put a parametric equalizer in front of my subwoofer to help balance the rooms peaks and nulls. If I use the mic that came with the Pioneer 1016 receiver used for auto calibration and put software on my laptop to record a subwoofer sweep (from a CD I have) would that be an adequate SP meter?

Thought I could record before and after and tweek parametric equalizer to get the subwoofer as flat as I could. My subwoofer cutoff is 100hz and goes down to 20hz.

Is there any free or shareware software out there to support this sort of thing or to record soundpower levels via the soundblaster card?

thanks for any tips

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I think TrueRTA is free, or at least many of it's features can be used for free. What you propose may be possible, but I don't know anything about your mic. At a minimum you could use a Radio Shack SPL meter & some test tones (generally downloadable for free is you look around- and there's an online chart that's designed to compensate for the "known deviations" of the RatShack meter). The latter method is actually described in the Audioholics review of the Onix R-DES parametric EQ.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
sewround said:
I primarily would like to put a parametric equalizer in front of my subwoofer to help balance the rooms peaks and nulls. If I use the mic that came with the Pioneer 1016 receiver used for auto calibration and put software on my laptop to record a subwoofer sweep (from a CD I have) would that be an adequate SP meter?

Thought I could record before and after and tweek parametric equalizer to get the subwoofer as flat as I could. My subwoofer cutoff is 100hz and goes down to 20hz.

Is there any free or shareware software out there to support this sort of thing or to record soundpower levels via the soundblaster card?

thanks for any tips
sewround, I think this will answer your questions.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

There are those on AVS sub forum who say that the newest Radio Shack digital SPL meter is more accurate than the old for the low frequencies and may not need correction values. I have no personal experience with it and I would not say it's definitive yet, but worth bearing in mind.

Nick

S

sewround

Audiophyte
Nick250 said:
sewround, I think this will answer your questions.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

There are those on AVS sub forum who say that the newest Radio Shack digital SPL meter is more accurate than the old for the low frequencies and may not need correction values. I have no personal experience with it and I would not say it's definitive yet, but worth bearing in mind.

Nick
thanks all. Im I glad I asked. What a perfect solution!

thanks again!

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
Yeah the radio shack SPL meter is the way to go unless you get your mic professionally calibrated. The mics that come with the reciever have error and only the equipment that it came with are programmed to compensate for that error. It would be far more expensive for them to give away perfectly flat mics with their reciever's. If you use the Radio Shack meter, the program Room EQ Wizard has a correction file for the error in this mic. Basicly, just follow the directions given with the software or ask questions at the Home Theater Shack forum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis