Subwoofer distances...

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
So I decided too mess with my sub distances that YPAO had set. I have two Klipsch R-115 SW subs, located in opposing corners. RX-Z9 at the helm. Each sub is approximately 11 feet away. YPAO puts them at 16.0 ft and 15.4ft. I was driving the distance way off, and then back to Where the AVR had set them. It seems too me that, setting them at 13.0 ft and 13.2 Yields more bass. Still have to do, more testing. Just wondering if there is anybody out there, who also had trouble making sure they have the exact right distances from the subs. And should the AVR really be relied upon 100%. ? What does everybody else do to make sure they have the right subwoofer distances . Before anybody asks No I do not use KEW.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
After going through this for quite some time now you really should have realized by now that what sounds best to you is the way it should be set. If the AVR setting sounds better that what you did by hand, then use it, If your own settings sound better, then use that. Why all this mental masturbation?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
You're right I have been driving myself nuts... Im just an Audioholic, and I want to be set up perfect.. And to be perfectly honest, switching between all the distances, it's really kind of hard to tell the difference.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You're right I have been driving myself nuts... Im just an Audioholic, and I want to be set up perfect.. And to be perfectly honest, switching between all the distances, it's really kind of hard to tell the difference.
If you want the set up to be perfect, you really should use REW or something like it. Otherwise everything you are doing is just a guessing game. Get some basic calibration equipment, take some measurements, and you will be much better positioned to get what you want and optimize your system.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
John Fickle,
You want everything to be set up "perfect". What you should have learned by now is there is no definition of "perfect" in audio. There is what somebody else think sounds best, there is what you think sounds best and there is what measures most accurately compared to the input.

You can, (and do), find fault with each of these, going back and forth between what sounds best and what measures best. YPAO sets your sub distance for phase mgmt. If you think it sounds better with them set closer, set them closer. If you want a line item buried deep within your AVR setup menus to match a tape measure, set them to match. If you want to take advantage of precision phase matching, leave them alone.

In other words, you must decide which "perfect" you want before asking the question. If you want measurement perfect, we can help. If you want what sounds best to you perfect, experiment.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I'm not a big fan of Auto calibration anything. Set all your speakers manually for proper distance to your listening position. Assuming you have a 5.1 or 7.1 system, manually set your speaker levels using an SPL meter. Start with all speakers set to 'small' and a 80hz crossover to your subs and that in most cases should work best.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
John Fickle,
You want everything to be set up "perfect". What you should have learned by now is there is no definition of "perfect" in audio. There is what somebody else think sounds best, there is what you think sounds best and there is what measures most accurately compared to the input.

You can, (and do), find fault with each of these, going back and forth between what sounds best and what measures best. YPAO sets your sub distance for phase mgmt. If you think it sounds better with them set closer, set them closer. If you want a line item buried deep within your AVR setup menus to match a tape measure, set them to match. If you want to take advantage of precision phase matching, leave them alone.

In other words, you must decide which "perfect" you want before asking the question. If you want measurement perfect, we can help. If you want what sounds best to you perfect, experiment.
Ok thank you

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
If you want the set up to be perfect, you really should use REW or something like it. Otherwise everything you are doing is just a guessing game. Get some basic calibration equipment, take some measurements, and you will be much better positioned to get what you want and optimize your system.
Ok. Maybe down the RD. I will do that

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
JF has been writing a lot, and lengthy posts too, good thing he starts using SH..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis