Subwoofer distance setting

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
When I first ran Audessey it set the subwoofer distance settings at 23’. I sit 11’ from the subs. I manually set the distance at 13’
This morning based on something I read here, I in increased the distance to 18’.
WOW!
The subs are coming through me in HT! Watching Venom.
Can someone explain the why? How can I find the sweet spot for the distance? Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When I first ran Audessey it set the subwoofer distance settings at 23’. I sit 11’ from the subs. I manually set the distance at 13’
This morning based on something I read here, I in increased the distance to 18’.
WOW!
The subs are coming through me in HT! Watching Venom.
Can someone explain the why? How can I find the sweet spot for the distance? Thanks
You can find the sweet spot with rew! Lol

The reason it was set to 23’ is because that’s how audyssey “sees” the subwoofer. So you sit 11’ away, now you have to add in the processing time and the length of time for the waves to get to you and it adds up quick. Sound, iirc travels at 1’ per millisecond. So the farther the physical/acoustic distance, the sooner it fires the subwoofer. This keeps it in time with the rest of the speakers.

Also, changing the distance changes the delay which is phase. Many times there is a dip in the XO region that can be filled in by adding some distance. This can help with impulse response too.

Without proper gear, finding the sweet spot will be hard. I’d start with audyssey setting and add a couple feet at a time and see what you get. An spl meter and test tones can be used too.

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
I always set mine up with an old fashion kick drum. Works every time....

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
You can use a recording with a good clear kick drum to set your subwoofer delay. Set your system for two channel stereo with subwoofer. Play a track that you're familiar with that has kick drum. For example, I use My Brightest Diamond, All Things Will Unwind. The song is called "Be Brave"

Once you set up accurate kick drum to music, level and delay, your home theater bass will always be correct no matter what you play. Music in movies will be accurate.

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
Can I borrow the JBL’s
I was playing around with toe in today, 1/4 inch at a time with a 1/2 inch rake angle. Was able to get them to couple to the room. They sound amazing...I'll never part with them. But you can dream lol....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis