Subwoofer Decisions

D

dave-t

Enthusiast
Currently I have a velodyne DD10 in flawless condition. I have been itching for more bass and one of my friends who I trust and sold me my system from our local boutique store is trying to get me to sell my Velodyne DD10 and get a JL E-Sub e112, he is going to sell the Velodyne for me. I love the Velodyne but it is only a 10" sub and the JL would be a 12". I was considering getting a JL E-Sub e110 but two different subs may be tough to eq, so my friend said he recommends to get a larger sub and recommended the JL E-Sub e112. My System currently includes:

B&W XT4 - fronts
B&W XTC - center
B&W CCM 683 - Surrounds
B&W XT2 - surround rears

Amp- Rotel RMB- 1575
Amp -Rotel RB 1572

Denon 4308CI - receiver
Denon 3800BDCI - Blu Ray

Pioneer Elite 151FD - HDTV

* Receiver is being replaced to a Marantz 8803a or Marantz 7703 when they are released in November

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Good you came to here before you purchased, there are better options for the price imo. We need more information to give you good suggestions how ever. What is your room size? Budget? How much space you have for subs? Where are you from? With this information we can give you better suggestions.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
What you have is an excellent subwoofer, but due to the issues in all small rooms, one is never sufficient for more than one listener! I would recommend getting another, or similar, 10" sealed design.

The e112 is not an improvement in anything.

You've clearly spent some money on your system, so if you want the best out of it, you need to get the bass right in every seat. Dual subs will be an improvement, quad is most enveloping. And when you are running quad subs, it becomes quite clear that the diameter of the cone is meaningless. So it's great that you already started with 10" subs, because their petite size makes them easy to hide!

D

dave-t

Enthusiast
I live in Arlington VA, room is approx 12x21(living room/kitchen). I also want local support so SVS Subs does not really interest me. I only watch movies so music is not important for use with this sub. I listen to music in my car. I will purchase it at IQ Audio in FairFax VA or somewhere else in the DC metro area. Budget is the $2200 range. My buddy will take care of he always has and support is more important than saving a few dollars, I am really into service and will pay for it. I have only ever had a Velodyne and have always liked it but it is my understanding that Velodyne is not what it used to be and the new DD+ subs are not the same quality as the DD subs were. In both my cars I had JL subs and they were awesome and had really tight bass. I want something the same quality as the DD10 but it does not have to have the built in EQ. Let me know if you need more info?

Thanks,

Dave

D

dave-t

Enthusiast
If I go the route and get a second 10" (wife would never let me do more) what 10" would work with a Velodyne DD10? The confusion is the difference in a 12" and 10" and the amount and quality of bass. I understand that another 10" will not necessarily give me more bass but it will even the flow out around the room. The velodyne gives clear bass but not sure if it is loud enough.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For your budget you could get pair of 15" / 18" Rhythmic, PSA or HSU specially if you sell your current sub. I wouldn't worry too much about the service as well known internet direct companies have really good service as well!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How often did that Velodyne sub you have now break down?! What "service" could they provide other than an exchange? It's an amp and a cone and a box....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know where you are getting that the Velodyne DD+ series are somehow not as good as the regular DD series. From everything that I have read, they are a major improvement.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The e112 would be an improvement in every conceivable area, but with a budget around 2K other options are available from a value perspective. A few examples of that include the Rythmik E15HP, the HSU ULS-15, the PSA S3600 and the JTR S1.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you want e112's, I'll sell you a pair for $2000!
They are in near mint condition.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
If you don't care about music you should definitely consider getting ported subs. Also, never choose one great sub over multiple subs, unless you don't have room for multiples. Don't limit yourself to only brick and mortar stores.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
If you don't care about music you should definitely consider getting ported subs.
At one point in time there was a distinction between the two alignments that would support a statement such as this, but that's no longer the case. What's available today no longer makes this viable.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
At one point in time there was a distinction between the two alignments that would support a statement such as this, but that's no longer the case. What's available today no longer makes this viable.
I'm mostly speaking of what I believe should recommended based upon the poster listening preference and budget. With a budget of around 2K and he's only interested in movies, he might get more bang for the buck with ported subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis