Subwoofer connection with Vintage receiver

R

Ryukyu57

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I have a vintage Pioneer SX-850 receiver and am wondering how to best connect a subwoofer. Running B&W 606 S2 speakers. My powered sub has high level speaker connections so can I just connect it to the B speaker outputs on the receiver and output to both A & B speakers without over stressing the amp in the receiver?
I'm not very savvy with electronics so would appreciate any help with this. Trying not to fry anything! ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello everyone,

I have a vintage Pioneer SX-850 receiver and am wondering how to best connect a subwoofer. Running B&W 606 S2 speakers. My powered sub has high level speaker connections so can I just connect it to the B speaker outputs on the receiver and output to both A & B speakers without over stressing the amp in the receiver?
I'm not very savvy with electronics so would appreciate any help with this. Trying not to fry anything! ;)
You can connect it like that, or connect to the sub inputs and connect the right and left speakers to the high level outputs. The end results is the same, the wiring is just different.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The sub isn't drawing power from the receiver so the B outputs won't stress the amp, it just takes signal. Might be easier to split the pre-outs to the sub/main-in, tho.

R

Ryukyu57

Audiophyte
The sub isn't drawing power from the receiver so the B outputs won't stress the amp, it just takes signal. Might be easier to split the pre-outs to the sub/main-in, tho.
Thanks for your reply. The only thing is, I have no idea exactly how to actually do that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your reply. The only thing is, I have no idea exactly how to actually do that.
You may not have a drawer full of various cables and splitters like me either. On the back of your receiver is a pair of u-shaped connectors connecting the pre-out to the main-in normally; you can pull that connector out and use an rca splitter to the sub/main-in (maybe just a splitter, maybe another rca cable to plug into the splitter depending how long the distance to sub is, so it might be male to 2xmale or male to 2xfemale rca splitter depending).....if you already have extra speaker wire on hand instead, just use that.

R

Ryukyu57

Audiophyte
You may not have a drawer full of various cables and splitters like me either. On the back of your receiver is a pair of u-shaped connectors connecting the pre-out to the main-in normally; you can pull that connector out and use an rca splitter to the sub/main-in (maybe just a splitter, maybe another rca cable to plug into the splitter depending how long the distance to sub is, so it might be male to 2xmale or male to 2xfemale rca splitter depending).....if you already have extra speaker wire on hand instead, just use that.
Thank you. Is one or the other connection preferred? I don't have the y-Connectors, but do have some RCA cables that are long enough. If I did it this way, do I need to connect left and right or just one of them? The sub has left and right rca inputs.,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you. Is one or the other connection preferred? I don't have the y-Connectors, but do have some RCA cables that are long enough. If I did it this way, do I need to connect left and right or just one of them? The sub has left and right rca inputs.,
Your receiver isn't summing the pre-out to mono (like a dedicated sub pre-out might do), so connect both L/R either way (high level/speaker wire or low level/rca). The sub can sum the stereo signal to mono. Preference would be what's easiest/more convenient rather than type of connection.

R

Ryukyu57

Audiophyte
Your receiver isn't summing the pre-out to mono (like a dedicated sub pre-out might do), so connect both L/R either way (high level/speaker wire or low level/rca). The sub can sum the stereo signal to mono. Preference would be what's easiest/more convenient rather than type of connection.
Thanks man! I truly appreciate your help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
He will need two Y connectors if he does this. If he does it your way, the whole rig will be mono, as those preouts are not buffered. So he needs a Y connected to an output and a the Y ends connected to each power amp input and the other to the respective left and right ins on the sub. If the sub does not have right and left inputs he can not use your method.

A lot of people mess this up, which I why I did not mention it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He will need two Y connectors if he does this. If he does it your way, the whole rig will be mono, as those preouts are not buffered. So he needs a Y connected to an output and a the Y ends connected to each power amp input and the other to the respective left and right ins on the sub. If the sub does not have right and left inputs he can not use your method.

A lot of people mess this up, which I why I did not mention it.
I linked a photo of a pair of y-connectors....and I clarified for him already.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis