Subwoofer Connection Question

J

JaySeeBee

Audiophyte
So I have a passive subwoofer with a pre amp connected to it... my question is, when I connect it to my Yamaha 2 channel receiver it does not have a single channel subwoofer output connection, so is it ok to only have a single channel connected while the red connection is left open? It seems to sound fine, but is there any damage that may happen? Is there a better route to go with solving this issue? Thanks!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You just need to post once. :)

J

JaySeeBee

Audiophyte
You just need to post once. :)

Gotcha... thanks! Sorry about that...

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I have a passive subwoofer with a pre amp connected to it... my question is, when I connect it to my Yamaha 2 channel receiver it does not have a single channel subwoofer output connection, so is it ok to only have a single channel connected while the red connection is left open? It seems to sound fine, but is there any damage that may happen? Is there a better route to go with solving this issue? Thanks!
No it's not OK, unless the passive sub has a low pass filter. Otherwise the sub will get full frequency from the channel chosen to output to the sub. Also, it will only get information from stereo material mixed for the channel you are outputting to the sub. Typically, you want a passive sub or active sub which accepts left and right channel preouts and from those the sub's low pass filter will produce low frequencies recorded to both left and right channels.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No it's not OK, unless the passive sub has a low pass filter. Otherwise the sub will get full frequency from the channel chosen to output to the sub. Also, it will only get information from stereo material mixed for the channel you are outputting to the sub. Typically, you want a passive sub or active sub which accepts left and right channel preouts and from those the sub's low pass filter will produce low frequencies recorded to both left and right channels.
The Douk amp he's using has a limiter for use with a sub vs full range speaker. The amp might be able to take the aux input as stereo, not sure, but he's using an rca.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Douk amp he's using has a limiter for use with a sub vs full range speaker. The amp might be able to take the aux input as stereo, not sure, but he's using an rca.....
Dammit got caught up in the duplicate thread, more information is in his other thread.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis