subwoofer connection possible?

S

stevo238

Banned
Is there any way I can connect the single left and right RCA preouts on my integrated amp to the single low level RCA input on my Mirage subwoofer? Thanks.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Do you not have a dedicated subwoofer out on you integrated amp? If you are talking about connecting your preamp out to the sub, then I would say no. If your int amp has a switch to change it to preamp out, then switching it on would send all the signal to the sub and bypass the internal amp...no power for the speakers. If you leave it to the internal amp, then there would be no signal to the sub. My receiver does not have a switch, but jumpers going from the preamp out to in. By taking out the jumpers it cuts the internal amp off.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
If you're talking about a tape monitor out, that might work. There's only one way to be sure. Plug it in with and RCA y connector and give it a go.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
Here is an article from Rane that supports the theory that it is not a good idea to combine the two preouts to one.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I got lost in that link, but I get the drift. No two into one. I will remember that, but I hope nobody ever asks me to explain it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You need a Paradigm X-30 subwoofer controller

stevo238 said:
Is there any way I can connect the single left and right RCA preouts on my integrated amp to the single low level RCA input on my Mirage subwoofer? Thanks.
or something like it.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/HighPassSWControlUnits/ControlUnit_Specs.htm

Subs with a single input are virtually useless in a plain stereo system.

I'm surprised they sold this to you. unless they assumed you had a unit with a LFE/Sub out. Did you tell then what you were going to be using it with?

Also, when you tap the signal at the tape out, the unit's volume control have NO effect on the signal going out. So, in effect what you're sending out is at full volume.

M

marvin75

Audiophyte
need to hook up kicker speakers

Hey how is it going fellas i got a set of 10 " kickers CVR 4ohms isit true if i connect them to 2ohms they will sopund better? can i do that if so i need help how to do it i got aCrunch Amp 2 /3/4/ channels1400watts the speakers are 4 ohms what will happen if hooked up at 2ohms and would my amp fry if able to do so

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
dunno

Hey how is it going fellas i got a set of 10 " kickers CVR 4ohms isit true if i connect them to 2ohms they will sopund better? can i do that if so i need help how to do it i got aCrunch Amp 2 /3/4/ channels1400watts the speakers are 4 ohms what will happen if hooked up at 2ohms and would my amp fry if able to do so
You're probably better off asking this at a car audio forum. We're generally clueless about this.

S

stevo238

Banned
Thanks

Thanks for all your replies. I do have high level speaker inputs on the sub but frankly did not want to run the cabling. Additionally, I don't have a dedicated sub out on my integrated amp, just a single L and R preout, no amp in.

Steve

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
Don't use the tape monitor

The volume on a tape monitor output is constant, which means that it will not vary along with the setting on your integrated amp's volume control. So you will have to adjust the output control on your sub every time you change the volume control on the integrated amp. I agree that the Paradigm X-30 (or maybe one of the Behringer crossovers) is a good solution (I use the former).

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
I use a Outlaw Audio ICBM to get around this problem. To bad they discontinued it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis