Subwoofer configuration dilemma

M

MikeBike

Audiophyte
I have already svs pb 2000 ,and love it,but I need second sub and I want to add pb 4000.Is wrong to go with 4000 instead of another pb 2000,I'm using denon X6400 avr and got big tower speakers by klipsh and rest of my 7.1 setup are klipsch to ,I really like PB 4000

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have already svs pb 2000 ,and love it,but I need second sub and I want to add pb 4000.Is wrong to go with 4000 instead of another pb 2000,I'm using denon X6400 avr and got big tower speakers by klipsh and rest of my 7.1 setup are klipsch to ,I really like PB 4000
These subs should work well together. Normally its not a great idea to pair subs with greatly differing performance capabilities, but with SVS subs that is not a problem, since their limiters do not allow them to be pushed into heavy distortion or over-driving.

M

MikeBike

Audiophyte
It's nice to be able to pair these subs together ,only concern is how audyssey on my denon x6400 will handle them ,and wondering if I need to bump up the gain on PB 2000 due to much higher pb 4000 output. Hopefully this won't be a hard to setup,thank you

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It's nice to be able to pair these subs together ,only concern is how audyssey on my denon x6400 will handle them ,and wondering if I need to bump up the gain on PB 2000 due to much higher pb 4000 output. Hopefully this won't be a hard to setup,thank you
Hey Mike I owned 2 PB 2000's and really loved them just my room was too big for them to be at they're best. Why if I may ask is the reason for the upgrade? Just have a big room just love the 4000? Shady and others can correct me if I'm wrong but one 4000 is I think roughly a little more then 2 PB 2000's put together. That's a lottof subs in that room a 3 for 1 special almost lol. I can say it was almost impossible to overdrive mine. SVS is really good about that so the nice thing is if you want to pair the 2 together for any reason you should be able to push that PB 2000 pretty hard as long as it's not too too crazy and it shouldn't hurt it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The better sub will basically be limited by the lesser sub to an extent. Why not just another PB2000?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The better sub will basically be limited by the lesser sub to an extent.
Not so much with SVS subs. They have pretty strict limiters. You can push them hard and they will not produce much distortion. They can't be over-driven. Ideally you want to pair subs if similar performance, but with SVS it isn't as much of an issue. That being said, I still wouldn't do it for the extreme ends of SVS Product line up, like I wouldn't try to pair a SB-1000 with a PB16-Ultra.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not so much with SVS subs. They have pretty strict limiters. You can push them hard and they will not produce much distortion. They can't be over-driven. Ideally you want to pair subs if similar performance, but with SVS it isn't as much of an issue. That being said, I still wouldn't do it for the extreme ends of SVS Product line up, like I wouldn't try to pair a SB-1000 with a PB16-Ultra.
That's fine altho I do believe I've read of people being able to push their SVS subs into making bad noises. You're still limited in terms of output and extension with a lesser sub tho.

M

MikeBike

Audiophyte
The better sub will basically be limited by the lesser sub to an extent. Why not just another PB2000?
Exactly!and that's why I bought 2nd pb2000, now I got to figure out the best location for it,my room is 20' long and 14' wide now I have 1st sub on the left side between klipsch rp 280 and center klipsch rp 450,I'm thinking to put it rear wall to the right side next to the stairway ,the room is long and narrow so maybe spreading them out front and back make sense..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly!and that's why I bought 2nd pb2000, now I got to figure out the best location for it,my room is 20' long and 14' wide now I have 1st sub on the left side between klipsch rp 280 and center klipsch rp 450,I'm thinking to put it rear wall to the right side next to the stairway ,the room is long and narrow so maybe spreading them out front and back make sense..
Download REW perhaps and use the room sim feature for ideas....

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
That's fine altho I do believe I've read of people being able to push their SVS subs into making bad noises. You're still limited in terms of output and extension with a lesser sub tho.
I actually blew up a driver in a PC13 Ultra. SVS sent me a replacement under warranty of course, but it is possible to do! Those drivers are heavy as hell by the way!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I actually blew up a driver in a PC13 Ultra. SVS sent me a replacement under warranty of course, but it is possible to do! Those drivers are heavy as hell by the way!
Were you playing something with crazy low bass? Or just normal stuff?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I don't remember for sure, but it might have been the day I was playing with some base tracks. It didnt blow completely, it still worked fine but had this buzzing sound to it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don't remember for sure, but it might have been the day I was playing with some base tracks. It didnt blow completely, it still worked fine but had this buzzing sound to it.
Ya just curious. I finally got my GF a remote that she can use to control everything she uses (Apple TV 4K). It would suck if she blew a sub listening to pit bull on Youtube. :)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Is it an SVS? I think the warranty is 5 years.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Is it an SVS? I think the warranty is 5 years.
Oh I have Rythmik subs in 2 rooms. Looking at a third room now. I originally wanted the Monolith 10 but she only wants one sub in the living room and those are backordered so now I’m looking at HSU ULS15 vs another Rythmik LVX12.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I got off the phone with Ed from SVS. It's been too much of a hassle to try to find a way to bring the Rhythmiks down here by myself so I ordered dual PB 4000's. He was talking to me about setup and you definitely can overdrive em if you go overboard. The limiters help but anybody if you get crazy with them can blow up any subwoofer. I think Shady J is thinking of sane people making sane logical choices on driving they're gear. Not crazy hopeless bassheads like me! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis