K

Krexz

Audiophyte
Hi,
First time posting here so unsure of the protocol. Just been into a store with the intention of buying a Tannoy TS2.8 subwoofer new, or the Revel B8 new.

I ended up walking out with the a heavily reduced Monitor 380 for £179 (same price as Tannoy TS2.8) as it has been the shop display unit for approx. 2 years.

This is adding to my system of Dali Spektor 2 and Dali Zensor Pika Vocal.

I have never owned a subwoofer before but felt the bass to be lacking, especially during films moreso than when listening to music.

Do you think that this is a good deal and subwoofers have good enough life to make this purchase worth it?
Is the risk of an old subwoofer worth it compared to a box new model?
I have looked at the specifications difference and cannot immediately see a difference, but I am very much not an expert.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
None of those are what anyone here would call a “serious” subwoofer, but they will extend your system response by an octave or more. That will certainly be an improvement over what you’ve been hearing. Based on the specs I can dig up, the Monitor does appear to be the best of the three. So hook it up and enjoy!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It would have been better to have posted before purchase.

European subs and especially UK subs are a joke and not subs at all. There is one bright spot in the UK, J.K. electronics of Southend on Sea. They make a very respectable line of subwoofers.

What you have would not be recognized as a sub in the US, but a bass module.

The sub you purchased is -6db at 30 Hz. In my opinion that is virtually worthless as many speakers can best that without a sub.

So to answer your question, what you came away with is not worth it, and that goes for the rest on your list.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is the 380 an 8" (20 cm) sub? Methinks you need a bigger sub!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Man when I read stuff like this I am so glad to live here in the US. We have so much choice for products and in this particular area, home theater products. Man I would hate to be limited in home theater product choices.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Time to build your own beast. 18” dual opposed drivers should get the job done nicely! That’ll be money well spent :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis