subwoofer / cell phone interference

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Here's a weird one. I got an old M&K subwoofer I mentioned in another thread.
When I use my cell phone near it I get interference noise from the subwoofer. It's not an interconnect problem as it happens even with the interconects removed from the sub's amp. Must be a problem with the amp, as it gets much louder when I put the phone close to the amp. Guess it's another reason it was free. Maybe I'll pull the amp and look for any obvious problems.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
The cell phone is probably doing the same thing to everybody's brain waves... :D

R

Ross

Junior Audioholic
As long as the sub is plugged into a power source, it will do the same thing. This will also happen with a car (mobile) subwoofer.

Don't worry, nothing's wrong with the sub, but you may still want to have your head examined after all those hours on the cell phone... ;)

...just keep your phone away and enjoy it!

Ross

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I've noticed that whatever electronic source I'm using at the time, I can always tell when my cell phone is going to ring (or even when someone else's cellphone is in use) because I hear the noise in my equipment first, be it my car radio, my boombox, my computer (while listening to music), even my landline cordless phone.

For the longest time i couldn't identify what that noise was and thought the FBI was listening in on me. :eek:

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
Ah! dont worry, just keep your cellphone a few ft away from the SUB, its a mandatory design in most electronic equipment governed by CE, even if you put your cellphone near your computer screen and a call comes, the screen starts to shake, (even on a SMS).

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
I forgot about that. I did notice my monitor start jiggling once when my phone was right next to it and it rang.

Fortunately, LCD monitors don't "jiggle" with cell phones when they ring - but that just makes us feel safer - doesn't it?

Ever wonder if the truth can really be told when you're talking about a multi-billion dollar industry? I think not... Use headsets people and keep those phones on speaker whenever possible.

Maybe we should open up a website to test cell phone effects...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis