Subwoofer and music

K

korg1960

Audiophyte
newbie here and maybe I should be posting this in another forum. I have heard from a few people (not here) that real audiophiles don't use a subwoofer when listen to music. I use mine for both TV and music at this time, but I was wondering how others felt about just using the subwoofer for watching movies and such only.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Complex question with only ONE right answer . . . it depends.

First off, not sure what a "real audiophile" is anyways, but the image in my mind is not a good one, LOL.

The variables include:
- Type of main speakers (e.g. bookshelf or tower)
- Low end capability of main speakers (some tower speakers suck at reproducing low freqs)
- Capability and demand placed on AVR/amplifier
- Room acoustics (e.g. are locations of main speakers coincident with location for good bass)
- Room treatments

Most importantly, what sounds best and is affordable to you.
Sincerely capable full range towers are generally very pricey.

Truth in lending, I stem from the Subs Rock, Wouldn't Live Without Them tribe.
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's a silly can of worms.
(That's me being nice.)

If you buy decent quality Subwoofers and take time to set up all your gear properly, there is no reason whatsoever that they will not add to the experience.
It is also well worth noting that the FR Piano and Pipe organ BOTH go well beyond the extension of most Towers.

Mind, I'm not even looking at Manufactured Music as an example, but there are many instances in Electronic music where low-frequency and infrasonic content are present.

So, the short answer is that it's just Audiophile Dogma. Somebody else's opinion. Nothing more.If you buy into that claim, then you are almost assuredly going to start buying $1000 cables, and Risers, and plugs for your open RCA and HDMI ports... :rolleyes:

:D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
newbie here and maybe I should be posting this in another forum. I have heard from a few people (not here) that real audiophiles don't use a subwoofer when listen to music. I use mine for both TV and music at this time, but I was wondering how others felt about just using the subwoofer for watching movies and such only.
Most members here use subwoofers when they don't have towers that have an excellent low frequency response. Good subwoofers are good for music and definitely a must if you view action films or like to feel infrasonic frequencies from the 32 foot stop of a pipe organ.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just one more reason why audiophiles are often ridiculed I'd say.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, if you are not going to listen to music with low frequencies below the F3 of your speakers, then a sub is not necessary. If that is not the case and you don't have sub, then your reproduction is not completely faithful.

There are very few speakers available that truly capture the whole audible spectrum. Ones that do are generally beyond most people's budget.

So that makes the case for using a subwoofer. The problem is that it does require a crossover, and the crossover to a sub is generic, with limited possibilities in most cases to precisely splice the crossover. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

I think the thing that gives rise to the notion you are inquiring about, is that subs are far too often implemented badly. A big factor is that subs are so often turned up far too high. In addition like all speakers, subs are not created equal. A lot of subs are over resonant, what we call having a high Q, this really mucks up faithful reproduction.

However properly implemented, a sub is a step towards more realistic reproduction in most installations.

Many know I do not use a sub on my theater speakers. Although this is disingenuous as a huge part of the main speakers are really subs, with additions. The "sub" section if you will is driven with two power amps in each speaker. So in actuality it can be considered an extremely sophisticated LF reproducer that is part of a totally integrated system.

In my other systems I use subs.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A subwoofer, by definition, provides the low content that can't come from the main speakers. 'Audiophiles' are often fools.

If someone can integrate one or more subwoofers into their system in a way that avoids being obtrusive, obnoxious and doesn't damage the overall response & sound, what harm comes from using them?

FWIW, if someone enjoys the sound of their system without subwoofers, whether because they haven't heard it with the bass extension or because they don't want to bother others, nobody has the right to tell them that they're wrong. It's not easy to make a system perform extremely well without spending a lot of money and if someone doesn't have the budget for it, so be it.

Also, our mind fills in the blanks when we hear something that accompanies video- I watched a couple of movies over the weekend and they had all kinds of special effects (not really a fan of over the top effects)- I haven't used a sub in close to ten years and I don't miss it. I did car audio for a long time and heard so much excessive bass that I don't need it to make my chest vibrate to perceive it because I know how it sounds.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
It really depends on the speaker design. If Your mains dig down into the 30-40hz, then they should be able to scratch your itch so speak. My main speakers are two piece with mounting hardware that makes them a single really big tower. The sub portions are powered with external amps, other amps for the upper portion, then adjusted to taste. Magnificent with music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis