Subwoofer and Floorstanders

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If I was you, I would next try to get her to ok the PB2000 over the SB2000. The ported version will be much better.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
I think if I were to spend $800 I would opt for two RSL Speedwoofers or an extra $200 for the Monoliths, I ultimately want two subs but don't really want to spend $1600 on them.

I suppose with the Monoliths I would have the option to run it ported or sealed which would be a plus...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think if I were to spend $800 I would opt for two RSL Speedwoofers or an extra $200 for the Monoliths, I ultimately want two subs but don't really want to spend $1600 on them.

I suppose with the Monoliths I would have the option to run it ported or sealed which would be a plus...
The monolith 10 look like they are way better than PB1000. A single PB2000 with a pair of towers is another good option. If you go with bookshelf speakers for mains, you probably are going to want dual subs.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
Here is Audioholics numbers on the Speedwoofer and the Monolith 10. other than size/weight/cost is there any sonic reason to go with the Speedwoofer?

image_preview2-1.jpg
image_preview2.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Monolith 10 is the better sub as long as you (and your significant other and cat) don't mind the higher cost, and larger size and weight and lack of protective grill
:)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is Audioholics numbers on the Speedwoofer and the Monolith 10. other than size/weight/cost is there any sonic reason to go with the Speedwoofer?

View attachment 24885View attachment 24886
Those numbers can't do not hold under an exact comparison, and, for comparative purposes, they should be considered 'ball park figures' at best. A couple other subs to consider in this range is the Hsu VTF-1 mk3 and the Premiere Acoustics PA-150. The VTF-1 mk3 splits the difference in deep bass output between the Monoprice 10 and Speedwoofer 10, but has a bit more mid bass punch than either. It also splits the difference on cost. The PA-150 can almost match the deep bass performance of the VTF-1 mk3, but has pretty monster mid bass output for the price, $500.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
The Monolith 10 is the better sub as long as you (and your significant other and cat) don't mind the higher cost, and larger size and weight and lack of protective grill
:)
Well with her comment about enjoying watching the woofer move, I might be able to have the sub somewhere visible, and like I said she was expecting me to get a 15", and ultimately what it looks like and where it is will only be a roll of the eyes at worst.

The protective grill is my worry. I don't care about the cloth, they can ruin that and I can fix it I guess, just as long as they don't mess up the driver/surround lol.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
Those numbers can't do not hold under an exact comparison, and, for comparative purposes, they should be considered 'ball park figures' at best. A couple other subs to consider in this range is the Hsu VTF-1 mk3 and the Premiere Acoustics PA-150. The VTF-1 mk3 splits the difference in deep bass output between the Monoprice 10 and Speedwoofer 10, but has a bit more mid bass punch than either. It also splits the difference on cost. The PA-150 can almost match the deep bass performance of the VTF-1 mk3, but has pretty monster mid bass output for the price, $500.
Never heard of Premiere Acoustics so I checked them out, I think you mean the PA-10? The PA-150 is a $900 15" beast :p

I have read a lot of good things about HSU though, they are definitely on my radar.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Never heard of Premiere Acoustics so I checked them out, I think you mean the PA-10? The PA-150 is a $900 15" beast :p

I have read a lot of good things about HSU though, they are definitely on my radar.
PA-150, $500. It's performance has been verified here.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
PA-150, $500. It's performance has been verified here.
Oh boy, I am less certain what to get than when I started the thread, but that is great!

That seems like a pretty good deal. I did notice the box from the Amazon link said 90db 1m/1w sensitivity meanwhile their website said 85db 1m/1w

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
IDK I am only about 3.5hr away so I could probably pick it up or meet him.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
I see there was a pair of these on there some time ago for $1000 a pair plus shipping, Idk if this cat bought them and is reselling them and inflating the price, but the original seller and elsewhere have retail price as $999

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
I keep coming back to those damn Rhythmik, I guess I can admit that I am sold on the servo idea.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis