Subs that the ports are tuned to diffrent fz connected to the same system

P

Papaj

Enthusiast
I have two subwoofers that are exact same i was curious if i could port tune one ex one to 30hz and the other to 50 hz i was just wondering what would the down sides would be

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m assuming these are DIY?
The problem would be cancellations due to phase response differences between the drivers and the ports. You’d be better off tuning them the same and aiming for one smooth FR curve.
Just curious, what was the goal with different tunings?

P

Papaj

Enthusiast
Ya its diy and i was wanting one in the one box to hit a lower frequency then the other i was going to put one opposite side of the room and one in front i was going to have the one in front tuned lower then the one in the back i wasn't sure if it would work haha

P

Papaj

Enthusiast
Also iwas given these subs and sub boxes from my dad but all he did was put bigger subs in the tower speakers he had and that was it and in my opinion they sound like garbage like that so i sized them for the sub and made a rigged in a port around my fz i was going for and it sounds a lot better than b4 but i got one tower and another sub to do

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I thought that Doc Earl Geddas had suggested something like unmatched subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you talking about actual subwoofers or woofers in tower speakers?

P

Papaj

Enthusiast
They are subwoofers in tower speakers of home audio i got them like that but i took out everything else that wasnt related to the subwoofer and made the space the right size

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's obviously preferable to tune both sub boxes at the appropriate same frequency, and use DSP to obtain the targeted frequency response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are subwoofers in tower speakers of home audio i got them like that but i took out everything else that wasnt related to the subwoofer and made the space the right size
Towers don't really have "subs", they're just woofers. How would you modify the cabinet/port tuning, tho? Sounds somewhat like frankenstein speakers now, tho....what are they particularly (brand and model of loudspeaker)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What driver is that? Doesn't look like a driver that would normally come in a speaker like that. No brand/model on that speaker?

P

Papaj

Enthusiast
And no it isnt dad got a deal on these subs and the box had 10 sony sound system in it but i took out the mid and the high for the sub he kept them in

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The box that had the drivers in it is what I was curious about as to what brand of speaker and model. The Pioneer page for that model driver suggests a sealed box of 1.2 cuft. Is this for your car?

P

Papaj

Enthusiast
I had it sealed hut it didnt hit as hard cuz its not a car audio Haha just a house amp

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
18 posts in and I have no clue what type of boxes you're using for these subs, or even if you determined that they're the correct size for the drivers... are they just speaker cabs with mids and tweeters removed or..?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had it sealed hut it didnt hit as hard cuz its not a car audio Haha just a house amp
So it "hits hard" now with this old speaker box rather than a sealed box as suggested by Pioneer?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis