Subs keep shutting off-HELP!

S

steve7647

Enthusiast
I have recently upgraded my system, with my new system my subs auto shut off so when it comes times for some base there normally off. I hear them click on but by the time they are ready the moment has passed, and within a few minutes they shut back off and the process repeats, unless I’m doing something with a lot of bass which is not often. On my new receiver under sub setting its either yes or no. and on the back of my subs it’s either auto or off. I’m not sure how to tell them to turn on and stay on while the receiver is on. I tried messing with the frequency dial on the back but not exactly where is should sit :confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've never seen any sub that shuts off within a few minutes. That interval is usually 10 minutes or more. Raise the level of the sub in the receiver and adjust accordingly on the sub's amp itself to compensate so you are at the same calibrated level. When a sub shuts off like that, it is usually because either the output voltage from the receiver is too low.

Telling us which subs these are might help too.

S

steve7647

Enthusiast
it very well might be ten minutes not sure of exactly how long. my receiver did an auto calibrate and said the subs were too high and to turn them down on the subs amp i adjusted it in small increments until it said it was good. it sounds great when they are on just always turn on to late. i can post all the specs of the system when i get home tonight.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The receiver is only checking sound levels though and doesn't know about the voltage requirements the subs may have to keep them on. So either way, on the receiver side or the sub side, the voltage needs to be raised. Approximately what % are they set on the subs? 50% volume or lower? If they are set lower than 50% now, I'd adjust their levels up and lower the receiver side. If they are set higher, I'd drop them down a bit more and raise the receiver's level.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Yep!
Sub output from receiver-UP
Sub volume on plate amp-DOWN (so final output is the same as before)

N

NormanPCN

Audiophyte
Do you have two separate subwoofers?
One photo shows the Yamaha sub and the other photo is not as shown in the online manual for the YST-SW215 back connection panel.

Assuming two subs.

The Yamaha manual states it has a high and low sensitivity level for the sub input. How is that setup right now? High is more sensitive, with the warning that the sub may not turn off.

The Yamaha level/volume is set much lower than the other sub level. Try to lower the sub levels to keep the subwoofer level in the receiver at 0 and at most -3db for best sensitivity to auto on/off.

The low pass filters for each sub are not set similarly. May not affect much if the receiver is set much lower.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have recently upgraded my system, with my new system my subs auto shut off so when it comes times for some base there normally off. I hear them click on but by the time they are ready the moment has passed, and within a few minutes they shut back off and the process repeats, unless I’m doing something with a lot of bass which is not often. On my new receiver under sub setting its either yes or no. and on the back of my subs it’s either auto or off. I’m not sure how to tell them to turn on and stay on while the receiver is on. I tried messing with the frequency dial on the back but not exactly where is should sit :confused:
You need to turn down the volume on the sub and increase the LFE output from your receiver until the sub stays on.

Your problem is inadequate output from your receiver to keep the auto on triggered unless there is a lot of bass. If that does not work just set your sub to auto on off. But then your sub will always be on unless you unplug it.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Or you just just put the sub to "on" instead of "auto" and when you're done with the movie shut it off.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
He said these only had Auto or Off, no constant "on". According to those pictures, that is the case, there is just the one toggle.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

He said these only had Auto or Off, no constant "on". According to those pictures, that is the case, there is just the one toggle.
I had to go to the manual. He will have to set the auto on to the high position.

The dumb Yamaha site won't let you copy and paste from the manuals.

It is on page 18.

S

steve7647

Enthusiast
I do have two subs. And they only have either auto or off.

The one sub with the two black dials on the back is a Sony SA-W3000
the Other with the silver dials on the front is a yamaha YTS-SW215

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I do have two subs. And they only have either auto or off.

The one sub with the two black dials on the back is a Sony SA-W3000
the Other with the silver dials on the front is a yamaha YTS-SW215
I have already told you what to do with the Yamaha and the page to go to in your user manual.

The Sony, does have an auto off switch. Switch it to off. It is all in your user manual.

There is no more assistance to be given, it is very simple.

S

steve7647

Enthusiast
The Sony does not have an auto off switch. The Yamaha does however but my Sony keeps shutting off.

S

steve7647

Enthusiast
The Sony has one switch on the back either off or auto. Just as I stated in my original post. The issue is the Sony does not turn on right away and I miss the hit. Then shuts off sometimes before the next one rolls around.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The Sony has one switch on the back either off or auto.
Hi, Steve. What happens when you set that switch to "Off" on the Sony? I'm with TLS in thinking that "Off" on the "Power Save" switch should set it to always be on. If that's not the case - understood. I just don't know if you've tried it (sorry if I missed that in this thread). I would think that the power light would stay green if it does what TLS and I think it does.

S

steve7647

Enthusiast
THANK YOU!! I feel like an A** for misunderstanding your comments but that fixed the issue.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
What a horrible design!!!

Yeah from the looks of it, OFF would....turn the sub OFF. At first glance i would have been confused too. But then again, i would have takin the advice a bit sooner too haha!!

Well another satisfied customer...nicely done!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis