Sub Woofer RCA Jack Issues

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So... what about the other sub? Do you still have it?

It may be simply dead.

T

Trev

Audioholic
So... what about the other sub? Do you still have it?

It may be simply dead.
Oh, man... the polk set was pretty trash. With the center shattered, my FL and FR not matching the center. The polk sub was worse... the connection had kept cutting in and out on me connected any which way. It'd start a low level hum until it was a loud enough hum to bring the house down even with nothing outputting from the source. I remember the point when I gave up...

My woman and I were doing gymnastics and her foot knocked a rear surround off the night table and f'd up the spring in the wire trap. I'd had enough of the set. Got a new woman and new speakers :)

This guy sold a whole old Technics (Panasonic) 5.1 set at a garage sale, near mint except for this little sub issue I had... $75. I'd kill to have the money to invest in a real solid set of speakers. Technics SB-A28 3 way fronts, two bookshelf rear, center is nice... well all of it's nice enough for the price.

I have two Cerwin Vegas... but one needs a full cone and woofer replacement before I could think of using them... and even then... I wouldn't hook them up to this receiver. I need to replace the receiver before anything right now. I got suckered into one of the consumer grade HKs... for $800 no less...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Polk sounds like it was DOA, and was definitely an amp issue. Good to hear the your issue wasn't the receiver.

T

Trev

Audioholic
The Polk sounds like it was DOA, and was definitely an amp issue. Good to hear the your issue wasn't the receiver.
lol, oh man.. my receiver is a whole other set of issues. The video outputs on it are all fried. I've tried every video output possible on it... nada. And no video on this model... means... no menu for calibration. It's gotta go.

I've read of people having similar issues but nobody knows wtf is wrong with it. I either send it for repairs which could cost me a hundred or two... or or save for a new receiver and be done with it. The Onkyo TX-NR709 looks nice... but the price kills me. I can't find it for less than $700+ tax.

And I'd really like to wrap my head around using AV receivers as a preamp... and setting a power amp afterward in the loop? Like buying an amp from emotiva or something? ... If it's anything like guitar gear... I get it - fully. Just...

G

garciara2003

Audiophyte
Hey fellas. I'm sorry for the shockingly newbie post, but I'd rather knowledge than pride.

I've gone through two subs now where the RCA jacks are giving me no signal. If I connect the cable half way onto the jack, I can get intermittent output... which leads me to believe it's not my AVR. Is there a thread already existing here about repairing RCA jacks in subs? Wasn't able to find one.

Or alternatively... is it possible a better quality cable would solve my issue? I've tried three different ones I've had... so it's hard to think it was the cable... unless there's a slightly over-sized one that fits more snug?

I appreciate any help I can get :confused:
I have had three cables fail on the sub woofer end. I think this has happened on other subs as well this pair of subs are polk.

Something is going on in the low freq input perhaps maybe caused by Onkyo Rx the may send a high voltage 'shut down' the the sub. Speculating that over time the center post 'evaporates' away leaving only the plastic center conductor. (see image left, sub woofer end). There as small amount of center conductor at the base if one looks closely. They both originally looked like the one on the right.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis