Sub upgrade opinions

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Ha. Couldn't help myself with that earlier picture. Had to poke the bear a little since there are so many political posts on the forum lately. LOL

But yeah, I realize my pics of the pic don't do much but I'm just shocked at how much of an upgrade 4k HDR is over my prior 1080P.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ha. Couldn't help myself with that earlier picture. Had to poke the bear a little since there are so many political posts on the forum lately. LOL

But yeah, I realize my pics of the pic don't do much but I'm just shocked at how much of an upgrade 4k HDR is over my prior 1080P.
I think it is often more about simple incremental improvements in picture quality than the 4k format. See how it compares to your old TV while running it as 1080p!
You may sit close enough and your screen may be big enough such that you can see the 4k difference, but last time I looked at a chart of distance vs resolution vs screen size, 4k seemed like a pointless option.
But then, I only have a 70" screen!

Last edited:
Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Congratulations, setup looks great! Going from 1080p technology to what you have is a huge jump. At times I use my 65” zt60 plasma in my garage and say I use to think this was the best of the best. That psa loves mid bass too, I’d try to incorporate higher crossover.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I think it is often more about simple incremental improvements in picture quality than the 4k format. See how it compares to your old TV while running it as 1080p!
You may sit close enough and your screen may be big enough such that you can see the 4k difference, but last time I looked at a chart of distance vs resolution vs screen size, 4k seemed like a pointless option.
But then, I only have a 70" screen!

The pure picture from a 1080p disc to a 4k disc might not be that big of a difference on it's own. If both are good quality products, it becomes harder to discern I guess. That said, the bigger difference may be coming from the HDR aspect and the dolby vision aspect.

I just know that while watching Seven Worlds One Planet in 4k on the new setup versus Planet Earth II in 1080p on the prior setup, the difference is dramatic. The shots are so much crisper and cleaner looking. The brightness and darkness levels are more dramatic. I mean, a sunrise shot is so bright I can feel the light on my face and it hurts the eyes a little. Sounds crazy I guess, but the screen is just very dynamic and clean compared to the prior setup.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Congratulations, setup looks great! Going from 1080p technology to what you have is a huge jump. At times I use my 65” zt60 plasma in my garage and say I use to think this was the best of the best. That psa loves mid bass too, I’d try to incorporate higher crossover.
THanks. So far, the only issue with raising the cross over setting is the sub becomes too localized. Right now, the mains seem to be handling the lower setting pretty well. I think if there was room for two subs in ideal spots, it would certainly be worth it to send more to the sub. I'll continue to experiment and will eventually get the mic and rew going to see what's what. I've been moving slow in the process I guess.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis