Audiophyte
Current Setup
Receiver: Denon AVR-S750H
LCR: Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR & SP-EC73
Surrounds: Monoprice 6.5" 4103 in-ceiling
Subwoofer: Premiere Acoustics PA-120

Room Size: 15 x 17 x 8
Material: 98% movies

I want to upgrade my subwoofer. My budget is $500. I'm looking at SVS SB12-NSD for $399 (Amazon), SVS PB12-NSD for $499 (Amazon), SVS SB-1000, SVS PB-1000, or VTF-2 MK5.

I eventually want a dual sub setup, but that will be down the road. I worry that the older SVS models will be difficult to find for a matching set later on.

Thanks for any advice!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to ask SVS and Hsu how long you might expect a particular model to be available. All the choices are decent, and sealed may work quite well vs ported in a small room....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Might want to ask SVS and Hsu how long you might expect a particular model to be available. All the choices are decent, and sealed may work quite well vs ported in a small room....
My understanding is the NSD models are being discontinued. Maybe they already are?!
Hopefully there are a few that still haven't worked their way through the pipeline!
If Amazon lists them, they must still be available. Seems like Hsu also has a decent sub for ~$400 to 500 ... and there is also the RSL Speedwoofer for $400.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My understanding is the NSD models are being discontinued. Maybe they already are?!
Hopefully there are a few that still haven't worked their way through the pipeline!
If Amazon lists them, they must still be available. Seems like Hsu also has a decent sub for ~$400 to 500 ... and there is also the RSL Speedwoofer for $400.
Yeah my impression is that the NSD is on its final leg(s). Then again it has hung out for a very long time....did SVS just make too many at one point? :) Like JBL Studio series that seems to always on the brink of extinction?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I’d also toss in Klipsch subs, like the 112, or 115, just do not pay full msrp, there’s many dealers who will make a good deal on them for you. Contact Cory below for a quote.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’d also toss in Klipsch subs, like the 112, or 115, just do not pay full msrp, there’s many dealers who will make a good deal on them for you. Contact Cory below for a quote.

With Klipsch you need to be very specific with model.....let alone their vague spec generally.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The only ones I've seen worth considering are the RW-112SW & RW-115SW myself....
I was about to say that, but it seems those are being discontinued, and the SPL series is supplanting that line. That said the OP could likely get two RW-112SWs fairly close to his $500 budget, maybe a little more. I'd suggest him calling that dealer above for pricing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was about to say that, but it seems those are being discontinued, and the SPL series is supplanting that line. That said the OP could likely get two RW-112SWs fairly close to his $500 budget, maybe a little more. I'd suggest him calling that dealer above for pricing.
Yet another change in designation....I wonder what the specific changes are....

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Yet another change in designation....I wonder what the specific changes are....
Nothing, just finish to match up better with speaker line. The OP could find a B Stock or clearance on the 115, and buy the SPL at a later date if he doesn't mind a slight finish difference. If he has set up freedom to properly stagger subs so they can't be seen at the same time, this won't matter nearly as much.

O

Oglikn07

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for your advice. Looks like I'll research the Klipsch before making a decision.

O

Oglikn07

Audiophyte
Update and decision. I checked the SVS outlet store this morning and noticed they had multiple PB12-NSDs for $450. I asked if I could get a discount if I ordered a pair. They gave me a 5% discount, so I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the pair. Should ship tomorrow. I'm glad I was able to order directly from SVS instead of thru amazon.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Update and decision. I checked the SVS outlet store this morning and noticed they had multiple PB12-NSDs for $450. I asked if I could get a discount if I ordered a pair. They gave me a 5% discount, so I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the pair. Should ship tomorrow. I'm glad I was able to order directly from SVS instead of thru amazon.
Congratulations! You gonna love those!

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
Current Setup
Receiver: Denon AVR-S750H
LCR: Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR & SP-EC73
Surrounds: Monoprice 6.5" 4103 in-ceiling
Subwoofer: Premiere Acoustics PA-120

Room Size: 15 x 17 x 8
Material: 98% movies

I want to upgrade my subwoofer. My budget is $500. I'm looking at SVS SB12-NSD for $399 (Amazon), SVS PB12-NSD for $499 (Amazon), SVS SB-1000, SVS PB-1000, or VTF-2 MK5.

I eventually want a dual sub setup, but that will be down the road. I worry that the older SVS models will be difficult to find for a matching set later on.

Thanks for any advice!
My advice even though I'm still a bit of an audiophile newb myself is you might want to look into considering custom-built subs, it might cost more than 500$ but if you were willing to do it in chunks building your boxes first then buying your subwoofer driver and then picking an amp ,you might find the

flexibility a custom a build for future upgrades for a lesser cost by either upgrading only amp or your driver's an whether it might be involving going from 1 sub to 2 subs, or a bridged config for a very powerful singal, it would be worth considering I've currently got two 15in ported Audiopipes tuned

to 17hz and a driver sensitivity of 96db feeding them 775w at 2ohms each and a custom ported box which gave me 114db spl at 20hz to 115db spl at 100hz a very flat response with a light variable around 116db spl between 25hz an 40hz , my prevous config was in the same box but a 92db 4ohm driver

feed 525watts which gave me 97spl at 20hz an peak 108spl at 77hz so a
192$ new pair of drivers the upgrade was worth it

plus custom build does not have to be a cube shape footprint like some pre-built which for me take to much space an aren't best room placement opition for me and,more strategic room placement in your room layout May be might be worth considering ,

some companies if you look online have pre cut diykits of can build
you a box but it does cost a lot more sometimes. so consider putting the effort into doing it yourself might be worth it ,it was for me

just for exmp. my cost figs in chunks

my crown xls 1502 (8,4,an 2ohm output opitions) at the time $349.00 currently $389.00

the wood for both boxs togather 92$

my current sub drivers 192$ for the pair

218$ for 100feet of jsc 4awg high current wire cut into two custom 25foot runs

and 164$ in custom cut Aluminum Sheet metal the produced the pieces for the port an bracing for both boxs ,i just went that way to
achieve the smallest footprint possible for my room layout an maintain my ports structural integrity which i could do with wood

but thats me

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis