Sub upgrade advice? Two small or one big?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What was the WAF benefit of BK over XTZ? Size? Finish?

Does the BK offer means to tune the FR of the subwoofer?

I don't have a dog in this hunt, the only reason I posted was because I saw Isak was from Sweden and remembered XTZ was located in Sweden and seems to be a forward-thinking company!

I am glad to see Isak is looking at products made on Europe! While we are lucky to have serious competition between several great ID sub manufacturers, there is nothing to suggest USA subs are of better quality than BK or XTZ and I don't think it makes sense to put your money into shipping/import duties instead of the hardware!
Downfiring configuration was the most important, also the available finishes on BK and size. For some reason she found the downfiring more appealing and in fact I like downfiring more as well as there is not so much visible things for kids/pets. And no, there is no eq in the sub amp if that is what you meant.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Downfiring configuration was the most important, also the available finishes on BK and size. For some reason she found the downfiring more appealing and in fact I like downfiring more as well as there is not so much visible things for kids/pets. And no, there is no eq in the sub amp if that is what you meant.
I agree with you on the down-firing subs. It is a good design and an easy way to protect the drivers from little hands, feet, paws, and teeth! It is a shame more people don't use that strategy, but PSA found buyers wanted forward firing subs (they still offer a down-firing version of their 15" sealed sub - 15S - which even though it saves $100, gets outsold by the front-firing S1500). Apparently people have a hard time wrapping their head around the idea that bass is non-directional.

Thanks. My objective was to define the key differences between the BK and teh XTZ subs. The XTZ offers tuning options similar to Hsu subs with variable port tuning options; it does not have the Q control, but does offer 3 EQ settings (compared to Hsu's 2).

The BK offers better protection for the driver and more finish options.

I don't know about sizes.

Any other pros and cons you can think of?

Since UK is still (as of today) part of the European Union, am I right in thinking there are not yet import duties to worry about?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I agree with you on the down-firing subs. It is a good design and an easy way to protect the drivers from little hands, feet, paws, and teeth! It is a shame more people don't use that strategy, but PSA found buyers wanted forward firing subs (they still offer a down-firing version of their 15" sealed sub - 15S - which even though it saves $100, gets outsold by the front-firing S1500). Apparently people have a hard time wrapping their head around the idea that bass is non-directional.

Thanks. My objective was to define the key differences between the BK and teh XTZ subs. The XTZ offers tuning options similar to Hsu subs with variable port tuning options; it does not have the Q control, but does offer 3 EQ settings (compared to Hsu's 2).

The BK offers better protection for the driver and more finish options.

I don't know about sizes.

Any other pros and cons you can think of?

Since UK is still (as of today) part of the European Union, am I right in thinking there are not yet import duties to worry about?
I think they both offer quality subs and we already have listed the main differences between them.

Yes, no import duties. I don't know how it will be after they are not in EU anymore, might change but it will take atleast a year before that happens.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Here's an update for you guys:

I contacted XTZ to ask them for the white 10.17 sub which was currently out of stock. I also asked them whether they had any plans for a new model in case that was the reason for the poor availability at the moment, and they said yes! They are launching an updated version of the 10.17 (and probably the 8.17 and the 12.17 as well) called "10.17 Edge" in a few weeks time. The new model features (among other things) a stronger power supply (700 Watt RMS) and a new preamp designed by XTZ and ICEpower. According to XTZ, the new model has:
- The ability to play louder, even in the low frequencies
- More controlled sound
- Improved signal to noise ratio / cleaner sound
- More fine tuning possibilities

And on top of this, there are white front covers available as well, so I just couldn't resist and decided to pre-order two of them :) Now I just need to learn how to integrate these two reasonably well. Any help with that is greatly appreciated! (I don't have any measurement gear....yet)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What are you using for a receiver/pre-pro?
That determines how you go about your setup, but the "subwoofer crawl" in the video below should be done before anything else.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
I'm using a Denon AVR-X2300W. When you have duals, do you do the crawl once and place the subs in each location where the base is strongest?

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Place a single sub in the MLP (Main Listening Position) and do the crawl. Identify the best locations during the crawl. Afterwards, either stack the subs in a the best location or place one sub in each of the two best locations that you identified in the crawl.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M

Mph08

Enthusiast
You can order directly from their website: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df_Plus.htm delivery to Sweden should be around 50€. I personally run dual XXLS-400 DF from them and I have been really happy with them. I was considering SVS as well but BK was a lot cheaper, choose BK over XTZ as it offers alot better WAF.
I had a look at these subs after youposted look good can't find any 2nd hand take that as a good sing I will consider these.. I'll measure up my room and let you know see what you think ?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I had a look at these subs after youposted look good can't find any 2nd hand take that as a good sing I will consider these.. I'll measure up my room and let you know see what you think ?
You should make your own topic when you post with measures to get more presice answers. There are many others with good knowledge about subs so you should get suggestions with ease.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis