J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
Well my old sub finally took a crap, so got spouse approval for a new one. Here is my issue though.

I have a custom built in entertainment center, that has two spaces for a sub, both with felt doors, not ideal, but I have to compromise. (wife)

The caabinet space for each location is only 19"W x 20.5"H x 23" deep, so it limits me on space and not all options are on the table.

My HT is an Onkyo TX-NR809 powering Speakercraft AIM 7-Three speakers in a 7.1/7.2 set up.

Room dimensions are 23'x28' with 9' ceiling. I do mostly movie watching, and some music. I realize that size of the room combined with my small space i will need probably two subs. I am not interested in any custom built sub, just off the shelf. Entertainment center is basically center of the 28' wide wall.

So far I have found these:

Epik Legends (Dual) $899 and these will fit perfectly with room to spare
Rythmik Audio F15 Duals would be $1800 at $899 a piece
Rythmik Audio F15HP Single $1225
HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 Dual $1040 will require mods to the cabinet

Not really interested in making mods to my cabinet if I dont have to.

If anyone has any others to suggest I am open to that, or any comments on the above mentioned subs.

Thanks!!

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
Also found these:

Velodyne SC-15 Subs w/ SC-1250 Amp $2400 for duals
SVS PB12-NSD - $1500 for two

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Given your situation it seems either the Rythmik F15's or SVS PB12-NSD would work fine. Between those I'd personally choose the F15's, but I'm a huge fan of acoustic suspension so there is a little bias associated to that. :)

If you're thinking of increasing your budget above $2000 -- which it seems you might be considering, given the fact you included the Velodyne -- then another potential candidate would be the HSU ULS15.

Those JL's look promising, but it seems as though they won't be released for another 6-8 months. I can't wait to see what the reviews say about them; the quoted spec's look quite good.

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If the subs are for sure going to be placed inside the cabinet do not get any sub that has a SIDE firing driver. You are going to want a FRONT firing driver & if its a ported design then you ideally want the PORTS FRONT friring as well. Look into the Rythmik FV-12 or any of the sealed designs (though output will be limited for home theater)

If the driver &/or ports are firing into the bottom or side of the cabinet, you will be more prone to cabinet vibrations & the output could get a little choked & distorted sounding, possibly.

The Rythmik FV-12 is pretty much the best commercial sub for $500ea. Duals would sound GREAT!

However! Just placing 2 subs in a room DOESNT guarantee better bass. If not in the correct locations of the room they could actually hurt eachothers performance by frequency cancelation. Id check to see if both cabinet locations are good for where you are seated. If only 1 of the cabinet locations is good then only run a single sub.

You can check by doing the "bass crawl"....google it its very simple to do if you can get your hands on a sub to do the test :)

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
JMan - I have considered the ULS15 from HSU, specially since they are down the road from where I live and wouldnt have to pay for shipping. I could always get one now, and add another later. Those JL's do look nice, but cant wait that long for them.

Timoteo - I have seen a lot of good reviews for the FV-12, problem is it is too tall for my cabinet, and wont work. I agree with you mentioning the subs cancelling out, they will basically be positioned in the center of the room, and within about 12 feet of eachother. This is why I may decide to get just one for now. I wish I knew how to post pics here and I could show you what the cabinet and room look like.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Legend won't work either, since there would be no way to orient it inside an enclosed area that would give it enough space. Even though it is sealed, it isn't a good idea. I'd probably look at a single F-15HP or dual F-12s.

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern

living room.jpg[/attach]

The felt doors at the bottom are the locations for my subwoofer

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As was already mentioned, if those locations don't work for duals, you will be sort of SOL, so start with one and see how it does, move from there.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
The ULS-15 is a great sealed sub that can hang with the best. Go down to HSU & listen for yourself. Pete at HSU is a good guy & very helpful too!!

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
How inert is that cabinet? Personally, I wouldn't put any subwoofer inside a cabinet, but YMMV. The subs should be placed in-room where they sound and measure best, not where they are out of sight. I suppose you need to do what you need to do, but if possible please re-consider placing them there.

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
I wish I had a decision not to place them there, but our house is used to entertain for business purposes on a regular basis, and the boss says I dont want to see them at all, so I have to make the best of my situation, that is why I am here to seek advice in making this work as best as physically possible.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
That is totally understandable & there are many people in your shoes so dont worry. I agree that a cabinet is not the best option but when its the only option then no use " crying over spilled milk". :)

So i would definately look into the ULS-15. It is very clean i like it a lot!! Actually i think having 4 ULS-15s, 1 in each corner of a room would be an EXCELLENT sub setup!!

Without a doubt though you really should make time to have a listen over at HSU. I have gone there a total of 4-5 times & they have ALWAYS been very helpful. You can bring your own movies/music to demo or they have a set they go through to demonstrate both musical & cinema bass. You can choose to have 1 or 2 of the ULS subs on as well. This way you can hear the difference between a single & dual subs.

The limiting factor however seems to be the cabinet size. Will the PB-12 NSD fit?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Your boss tells you how to maintain your own house? :eek: Ouch...

If you must place something in the cabinets I'd go with something that is sealed and utilizes a single forward firing driver (like the HSU mentioned). I'd personally go with the dual Rythmik F15's. Well, actually if it was actually me, I'd tell my boss he doesn't dictate how I arrange my own home, and I'd put a Rythmik F15HP in the corner next to the fire place. ;) Of course, if he's paying for your home that's a different story. You gotta do what you gotta do...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your boss tells you how to maintain your own house? :eek: Ouch...
Nobody tells me where my gear goes either or what I can or can't have in the room. In life there are always compromises, so the situation 100% understandable. I compromise on other things, just not the system :) We do what we have to.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Nobody tells me where my gear goes either or what I can or can't have in the room. In life there are always compromises, so the situation 100% understandable. I compromise on other things, just not the system :) We do what we have to.
Agreed, though I draw the line when it comes to my own home, unless his boss pays for it or by "boss" he means "wife." :D

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
Also found these:

Velodyne SC-15 Subs w/ SC-1250 Amp $2400 for duals
SVS PB12-NSD - $1500 for two
Junior,

I looked over he dimensions of the PB12 and it seems that the height of the sub may exceed that of the cabinet by 0.4" or so. You may be able to remove the feet to make up that small difference. If you do go that route, and I recommend that you do given your placement constraints and large listening area, keep in mind that SVS may give a small discount on multi-sub purchases.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but will the port of a PB12 end up partially blocked by the wood above the felt opening? How large are the felt pieces? I ask because much of the output of that PB12 will come from the port, and if it is even partially blocked you will pay for that in sound quality (and possibly the destruction of your console, not that the latter would be the worst outcome).

Agreed, though I draw the line when it comes to my own home, unless his boss pays for it or by "boss" he means "wife." :D
Well said, I'm sure that is the case here :)

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
The term "boss" referrs to my wife, who owns her own business, so technically it is both

The felt on the doors is actually the entire space of the inside cabinet, the wood frame on the doors is entirely outside the cabinet, so there wont be any blocked ports with a sub

Also, correct me if I am wrong in my thought here, I was considering getting one sealed sub such as a ULS-15, and then a ported sub to cover both musical and theater bass, will this concept work?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The term "boss" referrs to my wife, who owns her own business, so technically it is both

The felt on the doors is actually the entire space of the inside cabinet, the wood frame on the doors is entirely outside the cabinet, so there wont be any blocked ports with a sub

Also, correct me if I am wrong in my thought here, I was considering getting one sealed sub such as a ULS-15, and then a ported sub to cover both musical and theater bass, will this concept work?
It will technically work, but will be harder to integrate together. Much easier to get two of the same sub.

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all the input, im going to go down to HSU next week and have a listen to the ULS-15, probably just going to get one for now and work from there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis