Sub(s) Upgrade Advice

B

bradypunch1

Audiophyte
Looking for some advice on (possibly) upgrading my home theater system subwoofers (I say possibly as I haven’t decided if I am going to keep, or get rid of my theater room altogether). If I keep it, I’ll upgrade to Atmos by adding height speakers to my current 7.2 configuration. I am leaning towards buying 2 matching subs, but I’m not sure. Here are some of my details:

1. Budget: $2,000 (ish)

2. Size requirements/limits: None

3. Room size & specs: Approximately 20x12x8 (1,920 cubic feet) – concrete basement floor.

4. Primary uses: 60% HT/TV viewing, 20% music, 20% gaming.

5. Listening habits: We watch all different movie types; I also like to watch concert DVDs and stream music at SPL levels. I want to be able to feel the bass slam in my chest when rocking out!

6. Appearance requirements: I don’t care how it looks.

7. Timeframe: Not in a hurry to get it right away.

8. My equipment list:
Receiver: Denon AVR-X7200WA

L/R: (2) B&W DM603 S3

Center: B&W LCR600 S3

Surrounds: (4) B&W DM600 S3

Sub1: SVS PC-2000 (older ported cylinder sub – not the pro model)

Sub2: Klipsch 10” ported (cheap BestBuy model from aprx. 2010)

Projector: Epson 5030UB
Samsung Blu-ray Player

Xbox One

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Dual Hsu VTF-3 mk5s would be a great sub system for the cost, but I don't know when they are going to be back in stock. You might call Hsu to check on that. If you can stretch your budget, dual VTF15h mk2s would be a killer system. Another good choice would be dual Monolith 12" THX Ultra subs. I would definitely be looking at multiple subs in any case. Triple Hsu VTF-2 mk5s or triple Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 subs would be a killer system as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Monolith 12" and the 15" show as in stock, I'd say you'd want to jump on that because that's not always the case with supply chain issues lately.

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
Sounds like a perfect candidate for a pair of Marty cube 18's with 1200w to each DSP & shipping included
under $2100
Would be a pleasure to discuss further
261787132_616156729530454_4519057408507267026_n (1).jpg

B

bradypunch1

Audiophyte
I would love to discuss this further Jason.... I'll shoot you a message.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Looking for some advice on (possibly) upgrading my home theater system subwoofers (I say possibly as I haven’t decided if I am going to keep, or get rid of my theater room altogether). If I keep it, I’ll upgrade to Atmos by adding height speakers to my current 7.2 configuration. I am leaning towards buying 2 matching subs, but I’m not sure. Here are some of my details:

1. Budget: $2,000 (ish)

2. Size requirements/limits: None

3. Room size & specs: Approximately 20x12x8 (1,920 cubic feet) – concrete basement floor.

4. Primary uses: 60% HT/TV viewing, 20% music, 20% gaming.

5. Listening habits: We watch all different movie types; I also like to watch concert DVDs and stream music at SPL levels. I want to be able to feel the bass slam in my chest when rocking out!

6. Appearance requirements: I don’t care how it looks.

7. Timeframe: Not in a hurry to get it right away.

8. My equipment list:
Receiver: Denon AVR-X7200WA

L/R: (2) B&W DM603 S3

Center: B&W LCR600 S3

Surrounds: (4) B&W DM600 S3

Sub1: SVS PC-2000 (older ported cylinder sub – not the pro model)

Sub2: Klipsch 10” ported (cheap BestBuy model from aprx. 2010)

Projector: Epson 5030UB
Samsung Blu-ray Player

Xbox One
I was very fortunate to have stumbled on a guy selling two RBH Sound 1010-SEN passive subs. I found a few external RBH SA-400 sub amps. Live was good. While speaking with Shane at RBH, he advised that the addition of 10” reference drivers would double the output and lower the bottom end to 18hz. I took home four Reference drivers. For less than $1000, I have twin subs that can clean your sinuses out. They aren’t just sledge hammer’s. They can be very delicate at low volumes, their wonderful with music. Very flat, very accurate. And with Godzilla vs Kong, I can make the grandkids run upstairs in tears. Feel bad about that one.

I’ve heard their big twin 12” Reference subs….speechless. I’ll never part with my 1010SEN/R.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis