Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hello folks,

I was informed today that my old AS-P400 is going to be replaced by the new, AS-P4000. The P400 was fired in a power surge, and was sent off a few weeks ago for repairs.

So once it lands, I will write a review and compare and contrast (using memory) with the other Athena woofer.

SheepStar

B

briman1001

Audiophyte
I read your DPS-12 review and am thinking of purchasing the DLS 4000R which as far as I can tell is similar but with a remote. I currently live in a condo but will be buying a house within a year so I need a sub that I can take with me and will still be good.
I can get it for $389 to the door. I am comparing this to the usual suspects like HSU, SVS, Mirage but for the money this is actually cheaper.
HSU STF-2 = $430 shipped
SVS PB-10 = $490 shipped.
Mirage S-10 = $380 shipped.
What in this price range is better or as good that you know of. I have a HK 240 and will be buying a set of satellites and a center very soon also when I decide what to get. Because of WAF the satellites will be dainty or have woofers of 5.25" or smaller to keep cabinet size down so I need a flexible sub that will blend well and be good to about 80-90 HZ as thats where the surround will have to be cutoff.
What would you buy?
Thanks for any and all help.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
briman1001 said:
I read your DPS-12 review and am thinking of purchasing the DLS 4000R which as far as I can tell is similar but with a remote. I currently live in a condo but will be buying a house within a year so I need a sub that I can take with me and will still be good.
I can get it for $389 to the door. I am comparing this to the usual suspects like HSU, SVS, Mirage but for the money this is actually cheaper.
HSU STF-2 = $430 shipped
SVS PB-10 = $490 shipped.
Mirage S-10 = $380 shipped.
What in this price range is better or as good that you know of. I have a HK 240 and will be buying a set of satellites and a center very soon also when I decide what to get. Because of WAF the satellites will be dainty or have woofers of 5.25" or smaller to keep cabinet size down so I need a flexible sub that will blend well and be good to about 80-90 HZ as thats where the surround will have to be cutoff.
What would you buy?

Thanks for any and all help.
I've only heard one of those woofers (S-10, but the energy version). Personally, I would go with this over the DLSR-4000. I compared the S10.3 to the DLSR5000 and liked it more.

Some one else can chime in on the PB-10 and STF-2 vs. the DLSR4000.

SheepStar

B

briman1001

Audiophyte
I am now considering getting the mirage S8 from vanns shipped for $200 and spending more on the satellites only to upgrade the sub when I do move. Not exactly sure what to do yet. Won't be purchasing till end of july so I do have time.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
My 2cents

the big mistake we do is exactly that not spend enough then regret it and look to upgrade.Get want you want now rather then later because you don't want to have redundant equipment all over the house.:)
PS:SHEEP I THINK YOUR THREAD HAS BEEN HI-JACKED BY briman1001 GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
billy p said:
the big mistake we do is exactly that not spend enough then regret it and look to upgrade.Get want you want now rather then later because you don't want to have redundant equipment all over the house.:)

QUOTE]

Well said! I think you should live within your means (well, close, anyway:) ) but get the best you can afford, even if you have to save for a while to get it. I have "settled" for things in the past only to be really dissatisfied with them later. It only costs you more money in the end. A chicklet for you!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Its ok, I've hijacked a good amount myself.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, It has arrived.

Yesturday, after returning from a camping trip, I was greeted by a fair sized carboard box with black printing spelling "Athena AS-P4000 Active Subwoofer yada yada (I think there was even a star that said "400 Watts!" )".

First thing I noticed was that the box was rather small. Much smaller then my DPS-12 and AS-P400 box.

Once opened, I knew why it was so small...

...This thing is tiny! For a 10inch ported subwoofer, I expected it to be bigger then this.

If I had to describe its profile (Ok, I do have to it would be long and slender. Its not as deep or wide as the DPS-12, but its ratios are very different. This would be good for someone that needs a skinny sub, but has depth to spare.

As far as my inial thoughts on Build Quality, it was much lighter then I expected. More on this in the review.

Lasty the sound. I've only played a couple tracks on it (Hot for teacher - Van Halen) so I don't have much experience with its musical abilities and absolutely no experience with its movie abilites (haven't played any yet). The first things I noticed were that it didn't need much volume to keep up with the mains. I think it was running at 5 and needed to be dropped down to 3 3.5 on the dial. I guess it has a fair bit if headroom. :)

I started Hot For Teacher and was immediately met with rattling. Not from walls, not from the driver, but from the feet. The subs weight along with its plastic spikes were rattling against the floor. I decided to turn it up and see just how bad it was, and then I saw something I had never seen before.

The Sub was vibrating across the floor! On a couple tracks with heavy bass kicks, it would jump half an inch!.

Now I need to find some extra carpet and put it under the feet(its even doing it with shipping foam under the feet!).

Im the mean time, heres a picture of its setup in my system ATM.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis