M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Im going to be looking for a sub soon. Ill be pairing it with Axiom speakers and a Marantz SR8400 receiver. My budget is $300 to $400 for the sub.

I am looking for the most value for that little dollar amount. Any recomendations?

EDIT - Also, I had a friend offer a couple bass shakers thats he's not using. I would love to give em a try but have no amp. Would any old single mono-block power 2 of these? What would be the least expensive way to power them?

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
In that price catagory, I'd go for a Hsu STF-2. It's a only $426 shipped. I have the STF-1 (a cute lil 8" jobbie) and it POUNDS. Nice, TIGHT musical bass.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
what type of bass shakers are they?

any vintage amp will work fine.. i have CrowsonTech tes-100 tactile transducers (couch shakers) and have an old kenwood amp and preamp running about 250 watts to each one.

it works really well, but it all depends on your shaker's specs. some are cheap and cant handle that much power. I dont think id spend any extra hooking them up if they werent the crowson tech's or the buttkickers. Those are the only 2 ive seen that are quality. The crowsontech's being the more quality of the two IMO.

check them out at crowsontech.com. i recommend the shakers but not the amp, its a little too weak to power them. ive tried a few different amps, but for some reason the vintage ones seem to work better, unless you want to spend a lot of money.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'll third buckeyefan and jaxvon.....go for the Hsu STF-2. NICE sub in your price range.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For $429, the SVS PB-10 is a solid bet. See my sig. I've owned the HSU VTF-2 (version 1), compared them together in my current setup. I kept the PB-10.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The PB-10 is also out of his price range. Add in shipping and it's close to $500. The STF-2 is $2 cheaper with shipping than the PB-10 before shipping (not to say they're equal, but for the budget consious).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How big is your room? It's not that I didn't like the VTF-2, I have a pretty large room and the VTF-2 struggled to fill it well; one of the main reasons I tried out the PB-10. The VTF-2/STF-2 are very good subs.

IMO, it would still be worth your time and effort to consider the PB-10, though it costs more, even if that means saving a bit more.

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
My room is around 200 to 250 cu ft.

Though the "soundstage" area is only around 1000 cu ft.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Talk to Buck on the X-sub, he has one. It has gotten great reviews..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Methost said:
My room is around 200 to 250 cu ft.

Though the "soundstage" area is only around 1000 cu ft.
The entire area that the sub will be in needs to be counted, not just your "listening area". Bass goes everywhere, not just where you listen. For a 2500cf room, event the STF-2 should be able to handle it. My room is more like 4000+cf. The PB-10 does a respectable job, though it would be considered too small for my size room. I really don't need more than that though, because it's an apartment. I was looking for sub 25Hz performance though, and the PB-10 delivers there.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Methost said:
Well I like the review, but it was not paired up against the HSU.]

That was quite evident, wasn't it. heheh

My suggestion?....go to Hsu, get yourself a B-stock (20% off) VTF-2. It's exactly at your $400 budget and will WOW you.

Happy sub hunting.

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
So many options. SVS, HSU, X-sub.

Thanks for the great input. I have not decided yet but am leaning to the SVS. I know it's more then I can afford. But Ill keep saving while I am thinking about it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis