sub question (part 2)

O

Oysterboy

Enthusiast
OK, I have spent a number of hours researching a new subwoofer and have decided to limit my choices on either the Hsu VTF-2 or STF-2. The difference between these two comes down to the VTF-2 is a bit more powerful and has the viariable tuning feature. I am inclined to go with the VTF-2, but convince me (or not) that the VTF-2 is worth the $100 extra dollars.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If size isn't a factor, then the SVS PB-10 ISD is a better choice IMO, for the money. I replaced my VTF-2 with the PB-10 and I'm quite satisfied with that choice. If I had to choose between the STF-2 and the VTF-2, I'd say the extra $100 would be better spent on the VTF-2 simply because you get the ability to tune it to max extension vs max output, and the extra 50W certainly won't hurt either.

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
If size isn't a factor, then the SVS PB-10 ISD is a better choice IMO, for the money. I replaced my VTF-2 with the PB-10 and I'm quite satisfied with that choice. If I had to choose between the STF-2 and the VTF-2, I'd say the extra $100 would be better spent on the VTF-2 simply because you get the ability to tune it to max extension vs max output, and the extra 50W certainly won't hurt either.
I second that I read alot review compare PB-10 vs HSU, it turn out majority people like the PB-10. however the HSU is not bad either, you won't regret it with either choice(in my opinon). I would say buy VTF-2 if you ONLY gonna buy HSU sub, else try the PB-10.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The VTF-2 is a great sub, but it's hard to ignore the fact that the SVS is a little less and has much better extension.

O

Oysterboy

Enthusiast
We have two cats and I really fear (in fact I know) that they will use the grille for a scratching post. That is why I am drawn to the downward firing Hsu's. I would rather have a front-firing subwoofer but I am trying to think ahead here. Primarily I want them for music. HT will be used as well but is not the primary application. The room is about 12x20 with ceramic tile floors.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Oysterboy said:
Primarily I want them for music. HT will be used as well but is not the primary application. The room is about 12x20 with ceramic tile floors.
I personally think a front firing sub is better for music than HT. I just bought the PB10-isd due to me thoughts that it would be better for music. I felt that if a sub is good on music, then it's goota be great for HT. I was right concerning the PB10-isd!!! However, the grill is something to REALLY consider because it does look like it would be easy to tear or distort. The grill cloth is very smooth, not like normal grill cloth. Good luck!!!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Oysterboy said:
We have two cats and I really fear (in fact I know) that they will use the grille for a scratching post. That is why I am drawn to the downward firing Hsu's. I would rather have a front-firing subwoofer but I am trying to think ahead here. Primarily I want them for music. HT will be used as well but is not the primary application. The room is about 12x20 with ceramic tile floors.
Simple solution. Take the PB-10 grill off. The Driver will hit the cat, and knock it out, while the port sucks it in. Just like in nature.....:rolleyes: I keed I keed.

If your cats go after the grill, scare them with the subwoofer. Explode a depthcharge while they are near it. This way they will learn to stay away from it.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I see; that's a good reason. Well probably VTF-2 then. I blocked off access to my PB-10, so the cats can't get to it :)

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I've got 4 cats with a little Cadence, front firing and decent grill. Take the grill off and play it at reference for awhile. The cats will check it out, but believe me, they will be very wary of something that puts out 100db at 25hz that spits air at them. They like to come in and listen though.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
....I had a cockroach roll out of one of the mini-barns one day right after I fired them up, and he walked sideways trying to get away, haha....I'll probably work this weekend....ya'll shoulda' run me off when that vote was taken, don't say ya' didn't have the chance....night.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis