Sub plays then stops?

95wht6spd

Audiophyte
My front mains have powered subs. I just noticed the one is not playing. The amp is on, and light is green, but no sound from woofer.
I turn it off, and unplug the AC power cord, plug it back in, power on, and it will play for maybe 20-30 seconds, then stop. Sounds fine, and power stays on, not hot, can't figure it out.
Seems odd that it plays shortly, then stops, but doesn't seem like it plays long enough to be a thermal issue, and wouldn't light change from green to red or yellow if an amp or signal issue?
This speaker always had a crackling/fluttering sound occasionally when it would get a lot of bass signal, and I always felt like there was a loose connection inside.
What does this sound like?

Should I open it up and see if I can see anything?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like an amp on its way out but looking for something obvious would be what I'd do, but....can you service an amp?

95wht6spd

Audiophyte
IDK, maybe, never needed to, if I could see something obvious like a burned cap, or loose connection, but would probably take it to someone to go through it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
IDK, maybe, never needed to, if I could see something obvious like a burned cap, or loose connection, but would probably take it to someone to go through it.
Those type of class D amps are prone to switching power supply problems. These issues are virtually unfixable. If you see burnt components, these are almost always the effects of the fault and not the cause.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis