Sub Placement Help read article

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Sub Placement Help read article still need help

I have attached a diagram I made in PS of the room.
I have grown up around home theatre don't consider myself novice but a semi-intermediate.

Here is the setup.

Yamaha 2500/2600
Panasonic DVD XP50

Front:
Definitive Tech BP10B

Center:
Definitive Tech CLR2000

Sub:
Definitive Tech SuperCube II

Precense:
Klipsch Quintet II

Surround:
Klipsch Quintet II

Rear Surround:
Klipsch Quintet II

It seems on this site Definitive has become old news, but I have always liked their solid sound for movies.

I chose to get the best of Definitive in the non-powered speakers because the lower line of sub powered speakers sounded muddy to me.

So all my fronts share equal 6 1/2 drivers and 1" aluminum tweeters.

Problem:

1. These speakers sound extremely Flat in the room.
The walls have metal beams with concrete below the carpet, the cieling is acustic tile with concrete above it.
I want a brighter sound. Is it possible?

2. I just got my sub, I am looking for placement help and ways to maybe make system liven up a bit. I will be setting the Yamaha Crossover to 100Hz and the subs to 120Hz. (Suggestions welcome)

Looking at Clint's article it looks like the front right corner of my room is going to give me the best low end grunt, but around 80-100Hz I will have nothing.

I want a bit more bass in the lower midrange, do I have any other options?
Please see attached image, I left the sub off the picture if anyone wants to draw it in.

I am using a projector up front.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Dezoris

Audioholic
BTW sorry about the grammer I am tired tonight, attachment did not show up for me right away here is a backup

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The Yamahas have a built-in EQ to help add to the high end and increase the brightness you're looking for. See Pgs. 56 & 101 of the 2500 manual.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
AVRat said:
The Yamahas have a built-in EQ to help add to the high end and increase the brightness you're looking for. See Pgs. 56 & 101 of the 2500 manual.
Everytime I make the adjustments it throws off the balance of the speakers.
My fronts over power the center etc.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Did you use a Decibel Meter to audit the setting for the center vs. fronts...

And no Definitive is not dead or old news. Its just that stuck up prefer the overly bright European built systems for some reason...

~Bob

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Khellandros66 said:
Did you use a Decibel Meter to audit the setting for the center vs. fronts...

And no Definitive is not dead or old news. Its just that stuck up prefer the overly bright European built systems for some reason...

~Bob

Where can I get a cheap db meter? And is this the best way?

Also any idea on sub placement?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You can pick up an SPL meter at Radio Shack for $40. They come in two flavors, analog and digital. Choose whatever works better for you. But when you go to use it to calibrate your system, make sure you mount it on a camera tripod or another suitable, solid stand of some sort so you don't induce movement in it and subsequently throw off the measurements.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Dezoris said:
2. I just got my sub, I am looking for placement help and ways to maybe make system liven up a bit. I will be setting the Yamaha Crossover to 100Hz and the subs to 120Hz. (Suggestions welcome)
Those fronts are full range (according to the website). I don't see why you are setting your crossover so high. I'd do 80 and work my way down (or 40 and work my way up). At 100, the sub has the potential to be localizable. Turn the sub crossover all the way up so that you are only using the receiver's.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
I'd agree about setting the xover at 80Hz. That' a nice balance to be able to smooth the bass response with placment without having it localizable.

As for DefTech, a lot of people (myself included) don't like the acoustic treatment limitations (can't damp the front wall) of bipole/dipole speakers. In a multichannel environment, the only sound you want coming at you is that from the front LCR. If you can't dampen the front wall, you'll get reflections not only from the rear drivers of the DefTechs, but also from the surrounds and rears which tends to muddy things up in terms of the surround field.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The sub in that corner should work well. The SuperCubes have a separate LFE input that bypasses the subs crossover. The crossover setting of 60Hz or 80Hz should work very well.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
OK, I Get It But My Speakers Really Are LARGE!

For some, your main speakers may actually extend down to 30Hz or lower, especially if they include 10” or 12” side-firing low frequency drivers. The temptation will be to set these speakers to LARGE., The setting is there so there must be a place for its use, right? Actually, we recommend setting almost all speakers to SMALL, even if they are physically large floorstanding speakers. Here’s why: Even though those floorstanders have a low extension, they won’t necessarily go down to the lowest range of your subwoofer as linearly and free of compression (unless your main speakers have more piston area and box volume than your sub – but we won’t address that here) The problem with the LARGE setting is: the ultra low frequency information will not be heard if the speaker cannot reproduce it. Well if by some chance you were able to get your main speakers bass extension flat down to 20Hz, then adding the subwoofer on top of that would yield too much (up to 6dB) of bass output at the frequencies both are producing. Hence integration between the loudspeakers and subwoofer will be poor and the bass may be overpowering, sloppy and/or boomy.

As a practical example, Reference System 3 has a pair of RBH Sound 1266-LSEs which extend down to 32Hz. I have them set to SMALL and I set my crossover frequency to 60Hz. Because of this, the subwoofer handles everything up to 60Hz that would otherwise go to my front speakers. The front speakers are now freed up to concentrate on only 60Hz and up. The result is no lost information, less distortion, more headroom and a better overall sound.

Those definitives are rated at 20Hz however they have two 6 1/2" drivers somehow I doubt they should be managing lower frequencies 60Hz and below.

I guess I can play with the 80Hz crossover setting and the 60Hz.
How do I know if they are managing or not?

It seems like a subjective thing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis