D

Doug01

Audiophyte
I'm looking to pic up a sub to add to a small music set up. Just bought a set of Klipsch R-15PM monitors and looking add a sub for better sound an bass. I have 2 local sellers with 2 different types of sub so looking for feedback on which you think could be best. Have an option for a Velodyne CHT-8 or Cambridge Sound works PSW-1 both around $100 in great condition. Thought on which is the better buy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think I'd rather have this or this than either of those dinosaurs in your price bracket.

A little more info might be helpful though, i.e. how big is your room, what are you looking to achieve, etc.

D

Doug01

Audiophyte
The plan is to build a 12x9' cigar/music room in my basement. Would like to get a turntable and listen to music while enjoying the room. Will be hardwood floors, sealed room for the ventilation with some leather chairs and what not. Not looking for over baring, window rattling bass as it's a somewhat small space that will be used to enhance the music, I like to hear and feel a little bass but it's not for a theater set up so was thinking a small nice 8" to save space would do the job for $100. I'm very happy with the R-15PM's and the versatility but they lack the bass an punch I want. I think a 12" sub an cabinet will be over kill but I realize you can turn the gain an volume down as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The plan is to build a 12x9' cigar/music room in my basement. Would like to get a turntable and listen to music while enjoying the room. Will be hardwood floors, sealed room for the ventilation with some leather chairs and what not. Not looking for over baring, window rattling bass as it's a somewhat small space that will be used to enhance the music, I like to hear and feel a little bass but it's not for a theater set up so was thinking a small nice 8" to save space would do the job for $100. I'm very happy with the R-15PM's and the versatility but they lack the bass an punch I want. I think a 12" sub an cabinet will be over kill but I realize you can turn the gain an volume down as well.

I think you misunderstand about the relationship between driver diameter and level as to how they are integrated with your speakers. You don't control volume with the diameter of the driver nor does the larger diameter mean the sub will dominate in any way...what are you using for amplification for the speakers? Does it have any sort of bass management for the sub? I'd also steer you to the Dayton SUB1200 over the old used subs.

D

Doug01

Audiophyte
The 8" Velodyne I was looking at is out, was too banged up. Now looking at the Dayton per recommendations.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still would help to know what the rest of your gear to integrate the sub with is....

D

Doug01

Audiophyte
My set up will be something relatively small an simple as this will be a small sitting room as stated. I just bought a used set of the Klipsch R-15PM's which are self powered so no separate AV receiver is needed and they have a separate sub output on the back. I did a little experimenting yesterday by hooking these up self powered to both my Polk 10" in my living room set up along with my Velodyne CHT-10 in my basement and it sounded great. The remote for the R-15PM set up is awesome even has a Sub +/- to increase or decrease the sub volume/output. My plan is to hook up a turntable for which this also has a separate output for, an CD player and or IPOD to cover all my music loads an needs. This system seems to be an all in 1 package for which I think Klipsch did an awesome job with, simple an clean. The P-15PM's retail for $300 new, bought of local guy for $200 this week.

Heck at this point I might upgrade my basement theater system to the Dayton 1200 sub and swap my smaller Velodyne 10" into this music set up? I thought my Velodyne was the 12" but heck don't use it a ton and saw yeaterday it's their 10" model.

D

Doug01

Audiophyte
So I just found a Dayton SUB-1000 10" powered sub for sale local for $50. Think that might fit the bill, or my option and thinking is that I might go ahead an buy a Dayton 1200 12" for $138 on amazon to update/improve my current theater set up in the basement which currently has a Velodyne CHT-10" sub an use the Velodyne for the music system? Thoughts on this approach? Also how would the sound be impacted having the 10" Velodyne with a front loaded port slot vs the Dayton being bottom ported? My theater has carpet on the floor so would a lot of the bass/sound be absorbed by the carpet with that design?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So I just found a Dayton SUB-1000 10" powered sub for sale local for $50. Think that might fit the bill, or my option and thinking is that I might go ahead an buy a Dayton 1200 12" for $138 on amazon to update/improve my current theater set up in the basement which currently has a Velodyne CHT-10" sub an use the Velodyne for the music system? Thoughts on this approach? Also how would the sound be impacted having the 10" Velodyne with a front loaded port slot vs the Dayton being bottom ported? My theater has carpet on the floor so would a lot of the bass/sound be absorbed by the carpet with that design?
A bottom vs front firing port won't affect anything. Hard to say what, if any, of an upgrade the Dayton 1200 would be over your Velodyne sub. How big is your basement theater? What other equipment are you running in that room? Is this strictly a ~$100 expenditure?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis