captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
I guess this may sound like a dumb question but i dont really know what the phase knob is for on my sub, i mean i know it sounds different when i adjust it but what exactly does it do?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I guess this may sound like a dumb question but i dont really know what the phase knob is for on my sub, i mean i know it sounds different when i adjust it but what exactly does it do?
It lets you align the sound from the sub and main speakers. Look around in this folder for more on this- it has been asked many times and there are several threads about it.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
It adjusts the timing of the sub in relation to the timing of the rest of your speakers. The idea is to enure that the sound from all of your speakers reaches your listening location at the same time. The processors and amp in your sub can induce a delay. The subs placement also affects the timing. This subject goes well beyond my abilities to explain, hopefully another member with more knowledge on this subject will chime in.

I do know that if the sub is 180 degrees out of phase you can have cancelations, making your bass sound weak. The room plays such a big part with time domain that it can be tricky to get right.

Good news however is that if you have a helper you can get reasonably close. Put on some music that you're familiar with that has bass info and have your helper adjust the phase on the sub. You sit in the listening location and you should be able to hear the bass strengthen or weaken as the adjustments are made. If your sub has a toggle switch,0 or 180, it will probally be 0. If it has an adjustment knob, preferred, have your helper slowly turn it while you listen. This isn't the scientific approach, but it's a start. Hope this helps

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Wow I type slow. What do you think of your SVS speakers?

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Wow I type slow. What do you think of your SVS speakers?
I really like them they have a very nice soundstage, and although i have them closer together than i would like the still blend together great, the bass is punchy and tight but although they say they are fairly easy to drive i found out that they do like alot of power that really wakes them up and then you dont have to worry about the tweeters i had to before the new crossovers were installed. But probley no you would not have to worrie about that as much now after the new crossovers.
Great speakers!

P

pnutbutter81

Enthusiast
Phase knob simply changes the phase of the sub in and out, which in turn is similir to hooking up the +/- on your speaker cables wrong to your reciever and sub, almost like changing the direction. To get the phase correct you will either need an spl meter or your ears in the listening position by ear level. The point is to turn it till you get the loudest spl reading on your meter or the bass sounds the loudest in your listening position which is much more easily done if you have someone dial in increments while your sitting there. once you find that or the loudest spl reading (on c weighting and slow setting) then leave it and your done! In many cases you will see the spl level rise about 5-10 db on a meter after done. Hope this helps!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis