J

Jack N

Audioholic
I’m presently building a dedicated home theater / listening room. If I put the false wall for the screen where I’d like to put it, there would only be an inch or two between the original wall and the back of the subs. So I’d like to turn the subs 90 degrees so they’re sitting sideways with the ports facing each other so I can have easier access to the controls (ports and controls are on the same end). Because these subs are down-firing I wouldn’t think the orientation is going to matter except for the three big ports on each one facing each other. These are big subs (18w x 26d x 25h 1st generation SVS PB12+) that emit a fair amount of sound out the ports so I’m wondering how this orientation will affect the sound. I’m not sure if it’ll be an issue at all, or will it make the sound muddy? Or will it do just the opposite and start cancelling waves, or will it add a hump to the frequency response?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The only problem here is that you are effectively placing the subs in the same spot which negates the advantages of having multiple subs to begin with. As for the ports facing each other, as long as some space is left between them, I don't see how it would be a problem. They won't cancel unless you configure the output to be in opposite phase.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
How far apart do you think they'd need to be to act as separate subs again? When completed, I'm thinking they'll be about 6ft apart. Would it help to have the ports facing the opposite direction?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
6 feet is more than enough distance. I was thinking you might need to have them 6 inches apart or so, so that the laminar flow of the ports do not interfere with each other. It doesn't make a difference which way the ports face, however port turbulence can often be masked if the port is not facing the listener.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis