Sub or amp upgrade?

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I currently have a pair of Axiom M2i speakers, Pioneer SACD player, Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver, and Velodyne VX-10 sub. &nbsp;I eventually plan on upgrading the sub to an HSU STF-2 or VTF-2. &nbsp;I'd also like to swap out my receiver for a preamp or integrated amp, as I won't be doing anything but stereo listening, however I don't really understand the differences between the two. &nbsp;Several people have recomended NAD for the amp, would this be a good way to go, and what models specifically?

Also on the sub, is the STF-2 or VTF-2 the better way to go?

Thanks,
Josh</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>A pre-amp has the features of a receiver minus the tuner &amp; an amp. A seperate amp has to be added for power, and a tuner has to be added if you want radio. An intergrated amp is a pre-amp &amp; amp all in one. You will have to buy a tuner if you want radio.

NAD is a great choice. How much money are you wanting to spend? This will help with model &amp; brand choices.</font>

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I was thinking in the $400-$500 range.

Thanks,
Josh</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Ouch! You can find a NAD C352 intergrated amp around $475. It is 80watts per channel.

You need a NAD C372. It is 150watts per channel. You can find one for around $729.

These are both grey market prices I suspect.

Buy at your own discretion!

Good luck!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hmm, might have to see if I can swing it for the C372, it seems like it would last forever, no matter what else I change on my system. &nbsp;

Thanks,
Josh</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis