L

listener

Audiophyte
These Energy Veritas 2.3i's and 2.0i surrounds of mine are begging me to make them whole and bring home the deep low end. My Energy dealer doesn't push the Energy subs for some reason, steering me toward Velodyne or Def Tech instead. I need really musical bass so I haven't really take Def Tech seriously. Any opinions on B&W ASW750? Velodyne DD-12? Or Energy 12.3? Others? I'm driving a space of 16x30x8, about 3800 cuft. Maybe I'll end up with two DD-10's?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you want ultra-musical, you should also audition the offerings from Martin Logan. I believe Paragon Sight and Sound here in Ann Arbor stocks their products. But if you're on more of a budget, I've found the products from Hsu to be very, very good. A VTF-3 MKII would fill your room well.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you have the funds, go with Martin Logan. That's a big room. If it's out of your price range, go with the big dogs from HSU or SVS.

L

listener

Audiophyte
Thanks. I'll check out the Martin Logans, I work in Ann Arbor. And where does one go to audition Hsu and SVS? I don't recall seeing them in the shops. I'll probably need to keep it under $2k.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hsu and SVS are internet direct companies. However, they have a very liberal return policy. So if you can float a purchase on your credit card for awhile, you can order one of their subs and try it out where it matters the most...your home.

I believe the Depth is right around $2k (their flagship Descent is $2800...I *think*). Anyway, since you're dropping $2k on a subwoofer, Paragon should be nice enough to let you try it out in your home.

Also, for what it's worth, try to find a JL Audio home dealer. I think their 12" Fathom sub is within your budget and would definitely be musical.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
jaxvon said:
Hsu and SVS are internet direct companies. However, they have a very liberal return policy. So if you can float a purchase on your credit card for awhile, you can order one of their subs and try it out where it matters the most...your home.

I believe the Depth is right around $2k (their flagship Descent is $2800...I *think*). Anyway, since you're dropping $2k on a subwoofer, Paragon should be nice enough to let you try it out in your home.

Also, for what it's worth, try to find a JL Audio home dealer. I think their 12" Fathom sub is within your budget and would definitely be musical.
Hsu has put together an owner network, ala Axiom, that lists Hsu subwoofer owners willing to let their subs be auditioned. Check this site for more info.
http://www.frappr.com/?a=showmap&gid=42901&landing=1

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well, a DD12 will be the most musical, hands down. It also has the built in EQ to help with room modes.

If those are your number 1 concerns, I would get that. I have never heard the martin logan subwoofers, but I have heard only good things about them.

Good choice on speakers BTW, my favorites :)

SheepStar

A

AVphile

Audiophyte
listener said:
These Energy Veritas 2.3i's and 2.0i surrounds of mine are begging me to make them whole and bring home the deep low end. My Energy dealer doesn't push the Energy subs for some reason.
The best match for the Veritas series would be Mirage BPS-400 (used market only). Mirage is their sister company and this old series had the exact same glossy black finish. It is an incredible sub and more reliable and sturdy than any Energy product. It is a big beast though.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
Earthquake MKV-15 for half what you would pay for the ML (then buy a SMS-1 EQ). Do a search in theis forum on MKV-15 and read my previous posts why.

Steve

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
AVphile said:
The best match for the Veritas series would be Mirage BPS-400 (used market only). Mirage is their sister company and this old series had the exact same glossy black finish. It is an incredible sub and more reliable and sturdy than any Energy product. It is a big beast though.
Errr, subwoofers and speakers don't have to match. And that sub is not up to par with the rest of the ones listed.

SheepStar

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Onix Rocket sub

The new Onix Rocket UFW-12 is a sealed design for musical bass. You also get the R-DES parametric EQ for about $1k. However, it doesn't play as low as the ported HSU and SVS subs.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Sheep said:
Errr, subwoofers and speakers don't have to match.

SheepStar
For some folks, the input of their significant other can play a big part in the decision to purchase. While I tend to agree with you, a sub does not have to match at all, many wives won't allow monolithic beasts in the living rooms of various colors. :D :cool: :D

timechaser

timechaser

Audioholic Intern
The B&W ASW750 is a great sub, and definitely a worthy match for your speakers. I auditioned it recently while buying my setup. Far outside my budget, but earth shaking and DEFINITELY musical.

Makes me wonder why no one here has heard the B&W - maybe because it is a UK company? :confused: They make good stuff...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis