T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Howdy, folks

Please take a look at my theater layout and let me know what you think about sub placement in my room. I"ll be using (4) subs total, two of which are RBH T2 bottom sections and two of which are HSU VTF3-MkII's.

I feel sure the four corners would be the best placement but the problem is that one corner is very narrow because of the entrance door. If I stick one there it will only be about half in the corner and half out in the doorway.

I was thinking about building a cubby in the wall at the corner (see green dashed line) and stick the sub in there. I could also stick the one in the adjacent corner into a cubby if needed so they will match. I would prefer not to do both since the walls are built but I can. Also note that the one in the adjacent corner will be on the 15" high riser. The riser will be vented and is stuffed with insulation in order to be an absorber (sort of bass trap).

The walls are built on clips, channels, one layer of 5/8" OSB, Green Glue and final layer of 5/8" sheetrock. So, thoughts??? Suggestions??? Should the sub in a cubby still act like it's in the corner and provide the same results?

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I haven't done a crawl. The room is under construction with no equipment set up. I just stuck a sub there to see what it looked like sticking out in the opening.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with the crawl. Every room is different, and though corner loading can work, it is not a guarantee in every room. Using the crawl can help you find the best places, acoustically, where your subs will be able to perform at their best.
In my room, the one corner I had available just created a very boomy and muddy mess of the bass. The crawl revealed my sidewalls to be very friendly homes indeed, and without much fuss was able to dial in pretty good measurements. When I get to spend more time with REW, I’m certain I can smooth everything out even more.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You can put a sub in a small enclosure, but it will affect the sound. Large subs don't work well in small cubby spaces as well as small ones.

Look into Q Factor- high Q means the bass is heavily dominated by one or a narrow range of frequencies that dominate the sound and low Q means that the response is smoother, with better-damped sound.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't done a crawl. The room is under construction with no equipment set up. I just stuck a sub there to see what it looked like sticking out in the opening.
Very nice theater room!!! Just wait til your closer to done if it sounds good in that spot or when you sub crawl keep it there !!

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis