Sub freaked me out!

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
So this morning around 5am I hear this humming noise while laying in bed. My bedroom is on the 2nd floor above my living room.

By the time I get down to my Living room the buzzing noise stopped.
Receiver was off, but when I checked out my Sub it was on.

I leave my sub on Auto. I'm assuming that the majority of people do this unless they are going away or not planning on watching TV for an extended period of time.

I've never had this happen to me before. I've had my system fully setup like this now for about 2 weeks. The sub wire runes under the floor in the basement. My receiver/tv/etc. is just about above where my gas furnace is in the basement, so when I brought down the wires for the sub/rear speakers it's fairly close.

Something leaked some type of signal to my sub. I'm just nervous about leaving it on auto for fear that some random signal will jump on it again and potenaily blow my sub... (or happen more frequently and simply be annoying/waste electricity)

Any ideas/suggestions? Anyone else see anything like this before?

I have a SVS PB10-ISD

Thanks

annunaki

annunaki

I would say it could be a noisey electric motor, like for a blower (fan). Verify to see if it happens only when the heat come on. I do not think I would worry that it could cause the sub to blow. However, an eletrical spike could do some damage, to the amplifier.

B

baldbear

Enthusiast
My sub use to this, but it was extremely loud. I figured out there was a short which caused this noise...extremely annoying!!!

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
It could have been any number of things. Most likely some sort of interference.

If you have a cellphone, try turning it on and calling someone while you're standing next to your subwoofer. You'll probably hear all kinds of strange noises coming from it. I've tested this with subs ranging from cheap $150 units to my friend's $2200 Velodyne and they all do it, regardless of what quality of interconnects you use.

B

BC Dave

Audioholic Intern
It happened to me

This very situation happened to me. Luckily I had another powered sub to swap out with my regular sub and the same thing happened with it. Either sub would come on full blast with a deafening hum, like at 3 a.m., with the receiver off. Frightening as hell. My toddler didn't like it either.

The culprit? There was a crack in the solder in the circuitry where the subwoofer plugs into my receiver. It was fixed within a day, under warranty. No more problems. The receiver (Denon AVR-1603) was only a year old at the time and I never would have suspected this sort of problem with it. But there you go...

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep you all posted if it does it again. So far I haven't heard it make a peep :)

unless I wanted it to :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis