P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ok. never ran audyssey. default setting is 250. should i change lpf to lfe to 120?
Like others, I suggested 120 Hz because that's what the co founder of Audyssey recommended when someone asked the question here:

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347563-Subwoofer-setup-and-MultEQ?page=8

Chris Kyriakakis March 24, 2012 09:45

Hi Jens,

First let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. There is an LPF filter in the Denon that is applied to the LFE track only. This must always be set to 120 Hz because the LFE track is authored with content up to 120 Hz. But, this filter has nothing to do with crossovers.

There is also a filter on the back of the sub that is applied to the incoming signal. That filter may interfere with the lowpass filter applied in the Denon to the bass managed bass signal and so we recommend setting it as high as possible.

But, again, the LPF for LFE filter is not at all related to the crossover filters set for the speakers. It only applies to the LFE track found in 5.1 content. You can easily test this by playing 2-ch stereo that has no LFE track. Changing the LFE filter will have no effect on the sound.
Theoretically, if you set it higher there should be no harm done. In fact, I used to set it to 150 Hz because I thought some MCH music Blue ray, DVD-A, SACD may have contents in the LFE channel a little above 120 Hz. Leaving it at 250 Hz may not matter either, though I tend to avoid setting anything to the limits just in case.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Dunno why they would do that, pretty sure my current avrs all defaulted to 120. I think mine will go higher, tho see no reason to check....
Same here, I thought it was 120 Hz also.

Edit: Just check the Denon and Marantz manuals, LPF default setting is in fact 120 Hz.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. I haven't found that to be the case at all with my desktop system. In two locations now I just put the sub on the side of my desk, the side relatively close to a room corner, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how there's no localization of the bass whatsoever. It's actually sort of eerie to hear ~30-40Hz bass apparently originating seamlessly from my little Audioengine speakers. Perhaps it has something to do with my desk being completely open under the desk top.
Curious what subs you are running with your desktop system(s)?
I assume you are looking more for a "woofer" to complement the monitors?
Are you happy with them?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Curious what subs you are running with your desktop system(s)?
I assume you are looking more for a "woofer" to complement the monitors?
Are you happy with them?
One SVS SB1000. The desktop speakers run full-range, and the SB1000 runs with a low-pass filter set for 60Hz, or something like that. I'm not physically near the system for several days, and I can't remember exactly what I did.

I'm pretty happy with the set up, considering the small space available.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis