Sub for a small small room

N

nichols540

Audiophyte
Hey guys, I have read thousands of posts on this forum and I have really become interested in good, high quality, sound. I bought a pair of Swans 6.1s (those are towers, yes the 6.1 name is confusing), and just finished off the 5 channel set-up a few months ago. I am a college student, and live in a small apartment. The system does fill the room with amazing sound, but I want a little more on the bottom end. The room is 11.5'x11.5'x8', which makes it around 1050 cubic feet. I was hoping to get some advice on a good sub for the room. I know most any sub will be able to fill the space, but I also want one that puts out tight controlled bass as well as low frequency bass. I am thinking about a budget around $500-750. Also I will only been in such a small space for another year or two and I would like the sub to be able to fill a larger room as well later on, if that is possible.

I have been looking at the SVS SB12-Plus, but am not sure if it is too much for such a small room.

I listen to all types of music: techno, country, rap, jazz, classical, classic rock, and most anything else. I need the sub to be able to play double duty in the tight controlled department, but also be able to hit the low hz in the techno and rap.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, and please if you need more information just ask.

Brian

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys, I have read thousands of posts on this forum and I have really become interested in good, high quality, sound. I bought a pair of Swans 6.1s (those are towers, yes the 6.1 name is confusing), and just finished off the 5 channel set-up a few months ago. I am a college student, and live in a small apartment. The system does fill the room with amazing sound, but I want a little more on the bottom end. The room is 11.5'x11.5'x8', which makes it around 1050 cubic feet. I was hoping to get some advice on a good sub for the room. I know most any sub will be able to fill the space, but I also want one that puts out tight controlled bass as well as low frequency bass. I am thinking about a budget around $500-750. Also I will only been in such a small space for another year or two and I would like the sub to be able to fill a larger room as well later on, if that is possible.

I have been looking at the SVS SB12-Plus, but am not sure if it is too much for such a small room.

I listen to all types of music: techno, country, rap, jazz, classical, classic rock, and most anything else. I need the sub to be able to play double duty in the tight controlled department, but also be able to hit the low hz in the techno and rap.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, and please if you need more information just ask.

Brian

You don't have to turn it up so loud to be too much:D But, it will hit the lows at audible levels, more than some lesser subs would do. And, when you upgrade the room, you are set for that too.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
If you've got the free cash to blow....it's the Plus all the way! However, if you're trying to stretch the budget, the PB-12 NSD and 25-31PCi (cylinder) can comfortably handle about three times the size you have there.

N

nichols540

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions, other than the SVS SB12-Plus that I am looking at. And there is such a thing as too much when you live in a small apartment.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the Velodyne SPL-1200R has some eq settings that can match your listening habits ... for example, it has a rock/r&b mode that boosts certain frequencies and sets a subsonic filter so that all it's power is dedicated to producing the said frequencies and not on trying to produce the "low" frequencies that only movies utilize.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
I've got an SB12+ in a room only slightly larger (13x12-ish) and it sounds awesome. I say go for it.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub options

Nick,
I have one of the SVS SB12-Plus subs. For me, it was a good compromise of performance, size and asthetics. If you want tons of <20Hz bass or want to grow into a large HT room, then you should consider a larger ported sub. AV123 will have their 15" ported sub out soon for $600 and SVS and Hsu have some good options in your price range.

For your current room, an AV123 X-sub ($200) should be adequate and would be easy to move for the next few years.

N

nichols540

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone, your suggestions have helped. I think I have decided on the SB. I need the small footprint because the sub will be going in my bedroom, which is where the rest of my set-up is. I do not need anything more powerful, after all the reviews I have read I am sure this sub will get me in trouble with all the power it has any ways. Thanks again.

Brian

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I just received the SB12-Plus yesterday. I have not had the opportunity to play with it yet. I can tell you I carried it into the house. I couldn't do that with my PB12-Plus/2. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis