Sub Feed Back... :-(

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
well i was listing to a cd this morning... and my sub started feeding back a reall loud BRRRRRRRRR not sure what it was doing... i tilted it foward and back and it would stop.. it acted as if there was a loose connection inside of it...

any ideas...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds Good said:
well i was listing to a cd this morning... and my sub started feeding back a reall loud BRRRRRRRRR not sure what it was doing... i tilted it foward and back and it would stop.. it acted as if there was a loose connection inside of it...

any ideas...
It sounds like the coil may have separated. Is it still doing it?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sounds Good said:
any ideas...

Can you tell if it sounds like a mechanical sound? If yes, buckey may have it right:D

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Can you tell if it sounds like a mechanical sound? If yes, buckey may have it right:D
can you elaborate?

it sonds like... umm... ok if your hooking the sub up... and say its powered on then you plug in the rca cable, and if you acedently ground it on the metel of the reciever the speaker makes that BRRRRR sound... thats what it sounnds like... but all conections are secure....

B

bandit

Audioholic
This does sound like 60hz hum. I'm guessing that the amp is at fault. Most likely a failing bridge rectifier or filter/storage capacitor.

Bandit. :rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sounds Good said:
can you elaborate?

it sonds like... umm... ok if your hooking the sub up... and say its powered on then you plug in the rca cable, and if you acedently ground it on the metel of the reciever the speaker makes that BRRRRR sound... thats what it sounnds like... but all conections are secure....

OK, so this sound comes when you feed a signal, CD in this case, and try to play it? Does it happen when no signal is fed to the system and no signal to the sub? Trying to isolate the source of this sound, sub amp, CD player fault, who knows. Could something in the sub be loose hence perhaps a mechanical sound?
Or, as was posted, a ground loop sound? That is why th eisolation to one thing that causes this sound consistently. All CD playing?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis