Sub: Energy S12. vs Outlaw LFM-1

A

asethi

Enthusiast
I wanted to get an opinon on the Energy vs Outlaw sub. I am planning to get the Connsieur Energy Line C-9,CC3,CR3. The guy who is selllin Energy is sayin that I should go with Energy to match the speakers. But its a little more money:

Energy S12.3 $775
Outlaw LFM-1 $579

I have only listened to S10.3 for $475 because they didnt have s12. So I dont know what either one sounds like.
Input is appreciated for anyone who has heard them.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The Energy will work fine. But check out the review of the Outlaw here at Audioholics. Sounds like a stellar unit.

Also the guy could be just trying to make his sale larger. Salesman tend not to support other than what they sell. Just food for thought.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I've heard the Energy 12.3. I think they are both good subs. I bought the Mirage version (very similar to the Energy) after comparing it to the Hsu STF-3. (Hsu's own STF-3 is very similar to the LFM-1) I liked the fact that the Energy/Mirage subs are a bit smaller and lighter to move around, makes it just easier to find that perfect spot for best sound. As for sticking with Energy brand for subs, it's not important at all.

If you look at the measured performance from Sound and Vision, both are VERY close with a slight edge going to Energy.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/seismicsubslab.pdf
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=663&page_number=4
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=663&page_number=7

I think the price of the 12.3 at that dealer should be better. You should be able to get very close in price to the Outlaw (after shipping is added). The Energy MSRP is around $800, and as a general rule, most independent shops should be able to give you 20% off that price. If you can't, then go for the Outlaw.

Last edited:
A

asethi

Enthusiast
Looking at the specs: Energy seems to be a bit bttr but not by much. But he is giving me a price of 775 which seems a bit high to me. Also does anyone know what A reasonable price is on the Energy CC3? Salesman is giving me a price of 500.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
500 is very reasonable. I think retail is 599.00. Actually thats a damn good deal to me.
You know something. I took a closer look at the Energy review and that Energy looks very nice indeed.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I'd pass on the Energy 12.3 for $775. He's not giving you much of a deal at all.

Both subs are winners....so let the price decide for you.

I think a price of $450USD for the C-C3 would be a good price. I'd beat on him a bit more for a better price if it was me. Especially since you are buying a whole package.

Last edited:
L

LaserMark4

Enthusiast
Outlaw vs. Energy

Here's a head to head comparison of both subs in Sound and Vision:
Energy vs. Outlaw (and 8 others)

Also, here are the lab comparisons....as you can see, they are both very close to each other, with the Energy being a bit stronger between 20-25 Hz:
Lab Specs for Both Subs

However, the Outlaw is both down firing driver and ports, which makes it VERY flexible in room placement. Less port "whosh' as well.

Finally, here is perhaps the best review of the Outlaw on Audiohaulics from the Editor-In-Chief, who I think captures their reaction to the Outlaw-- it's a sweet unit!!: Audiohaulics Outlaw Review

L

LaserMark4

Enthusiast
Oops....sorry I repeated the Sound and Vision reviews from above.

PS-- No tax and free shipping right now on the LFM-1....definitely some savings.

(and no, I have no connection to Outlaw- :cool: )

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
free shipping for the LFM-1? Then no brainer. $579 shipped is a sweet value.

The Energy/Mirage has very little port noticeable whoosh from its dual downward ports. I had it cranked up on the Flight of the Phoenix, sandstorm and plane roll scenes. The rumble down below 30Hz was LOUD, LONG, and DEEP. It felt like it was going to shake me off the seat.

Last edited:
A

asethi

Enthusiast
Well after a lot of listening to Energy. I have decided that tmmw I am going to order most of it. I am gettin a C-9,C-R3, and CC3 for 1899 . I was tryin to get that down to 1750 but he said energy was having a "sale" so he couldnt take it down anymore. I decided to order teh outlaw sub for 579 + shipping so hopefully I will be in good shape. Thanks for the help.

B

bertsummerkids

Audiophyte
best sub

for that price range, the best performance for the money hands down is the SVS subs. they will blow away any other sub even in the 1000-2000 price range.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Try to actually listen to subs and not just buy by specs. Subs sound different. Port noise, THD, cabinet vibration, driver speed, sealed design, etc. all make up a sub's sound. Take something you are familiar with that has two quick back to back bass notes or explosions. Are they being reproduced as two separate notes or are you getting one long note because the driver doesn't have the transient speed to start stop and start stop again that quickly? The battle in chapter 4 of Master and Commander is a good example, once things get going can you hear multiple cannon shots or one long rumble of varing loudness of vague cannon shots? You'll find even different model subs within a brand tuned the same way will sound different.

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Tex-amp said:
Try to actually listen to subs and not just buy by specs. Subs sound different. Port noise, THD, cabinet vibration, driver speed, sealed design, etc. all make up a sub's sound.
Exactly. Sometimes a sub with lesser specs sound better and plays cleaner than a sub with superior measurements. For example, some people like the sealed Rocket subs better than SVS or Hsu because of the sealed design and more distinct notes.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis