Sub advice to compliment bookshelf speakers

J

jackb87

Audiophyte
Hi,

I recently got myself a pair of B&W 685 S2's for the living room. They're sounding great, but as they're on stands they lack a little punch in the bass department.

I had a couple of subs shortlisted already but was hoping someone more experienced would be able to offer some advice (this is my first setup). I'm mainly interested in using them for music. So far I have been looking at:

- Rythmik f12 (for $1200AUD)
- two SVS SB-1000's (for ~$1200AUD)
- SVS SB-2000 or PB2000 ($900AUD)

{NB i'm in Australia so everything is a bit more expensive, especially if it needs to be shipped)

my budget is about $1200 - 1500, so at the moment the Rythmik is my no. 1 preference (have read a lot of great things about how tightly and accurately it reproduces bass), but i'm not sure it'll have the oompf to fill the room. I had also read you can get a smoother sound with two subs (and i'm guessing obviously more power)? It's a bit of an awkward area with an adjoining kitchen and hall, so probably not the best acoustically.

I've attached a rough diagram for reference. Might be worth mentioning the floating wall has an opening to the kitchen which is a little above the height of the speakers.

All suggestions and general advice more than welcome! Thanks
room-outline.png

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
An additional sub won't get you twice the power. What you will get is smoother response, IF, your sub's are placed correctly.
I own neither of these sub's, so I'm speaking strictly from published specs, reviews, and your given budget.
I would say 2 SVS 1000 or 2 Rythmik LV12R.
I think either of these would be solid choices.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis