C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Evening all! I’m just about done with tinkering and upgrading the new HT system. It’s in a roughly 4200cf space with an open stairway to the main floor (split level). I’m really happy with my main speaker setup (Polk reserves) and AVR (Denon x4700h). Currently, I have dual SVS PB 1000 Pros. I just added the second one during their 4th of July sale. Definitely like the benefits of the second one.

Like many, I’ve got the ole “what if” thoughts bouncing around. So I’m considering one of the following three upgrade paths: 1) exchange for two PB 2000 Pros; 2) exchange for one PB 2000 Pro and one PC 2000 Pro (integration with furniture); or exchange both for one PB 3000.

I’ll also add that I would probably be considering an upgrade from the 2000 Pros to the PB 3000s within a year or just adding a second PB 3000 depending on which option I select above. Going from the 1000 series to the 2000 series would set me back +/- $850 and going to one PB 3000 +/- $450. No way I could handle a straight exchange to dual PB 3000s.

So, between some combination of the 2000 Pros or one PB 3000, what would make the most sense?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I'd think about two more PB1000s rather than changing things up with the slightly larger subs....depends what room you have for placement.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Imo easy. Pb/PC2kpros and eventually pb3k.
The ecosystem is not free. But it does allow you to finance the upgrade path so that’s what I’d do considering you’ve kind of started in that direction.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Personally I'd think about two more PB1000s rather than changing things up with the slightly larger subs....depends what room you have for placement.
Interesting idea. Unfortunately, adding two more would not only cost too much, but I really wouldn’t be able to fit them into the space.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Imo easy. Pb/PC2kpros and eventually pb3k.
The ecosystem is not free. But it does allow you to finance the upgrade path so that’s what I’d do considering you’ve kind of started in that direction.
Appreciate the response. That’s a nudge in one one of the directions I’m considering! TY

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
So first off, SVS is truly great in their customer service department! I bought one of my PB 1000 Pros at Memorial Day and one during the 4th of July sale. Not only did they extend the go dual offer on the second one, but they have extended the 45 day trial by a week on the first one. Great people to work with, which I’m sure most of you already know!

So back to my dilemma. I actually have a slightly bigger room than I first wrote. Roughly 5200cf. However, if you compensate for the bathroom in the corner it’s about 4900cf. Also an open staircase to next level. So right at the Bassaholic Extreme / Large threshold.

So, the PB 3000 seems like a potentially better fit than dual PB 2000 Pros? A number of buyer’s reviews on the pb3k talk about it being crazy powerful. Now I’m a little concerned with it being too much subwoofer?! I’m assuming that if properly dialed in with AVR, it would not be “too much” sub?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I do not believe there is something like “too much” subwoofer. But from everything I have read two subs will allow your room to produce “better more balanced” bass.

I would go with the PB2000 + PC2000 combo. The reviews on both are outstanding. I bought the PC4000 because of fit restrictions when adding a second sub. Besides looking like a small hot water heater, it produces superb bass.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
So first off, SVS is truly great in their customer service department! I bought one of my PB 1000 Pros at Memorial Day and one during the 4th of July sale. Not only did they extend the go dual offer on the second one, but they have extended the 45 day trial by a week on the first one. Great people to work with, which I’m sure most of you already know!

So back to my dilemma. I actually have a slightly bigger room than I first wrote. Roughly 5200cf. However, if you compensate for the bathroom in the corner it’s about 4900cf. Also an open staircase to next level. So right at the Bassaholic Extreme / Large threshold.

So, the PB 3000 seems like a potentially better fit than dual PB 2000 Pros? A number of buyer’s reviews on the pb3k talk about it being crazy powerful. Now I’m a little concerned with it being too much subwoofer?! I’m assuming that if properly dialed in with AVR, it would not be “too much” sub?
It’s been a bit since I made the final decision, which was to go with the PB 3000. Have one for now and love it! Will plan to add a second one some time in 2023. Luckily I will be able to have it towards the opposite rear corner from where the current one is and on a separate 20amp circuit (just lucky that’s how the room wiring was laid out). Will plan to use the SVS wireless adapter when I do.

Movies, music, my son’s games all sound great. Like another member said, there’s no such thing as “too much subwoofer”! Although, I did watch Troll on Netflix one night and was asked to turn it down because the dog’s crate was shaking in our bedroom (room above). I gladly complied with a really big smile on my face! I did have to explain to my wife that when a +150’ stone being walks around, you expect things to shake. She was not amused!

I appreciate all the advice and input form before.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Well folks, the time has come! Next week I will be purchasing my second PB3000. Looking forward to the dual sub bass immersion!!

The plan is a front left and rear right setup for the two subs. No. 1 is already at the front left position sitting next to but outside of my tower. The second one will plugged into a separate circuit fortunately, so I don't have to worry about it competing with my AVR and first sub (and other components) for juice. I’ll be connecting it to my AVR (x4700h) using SVS’ tri-band wireless unit.

Looking forward to this next step in my system.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
The second one is here and mostly set up!

Let me start by saying that SVS is a great company to work with. Ordering, discounts, tech setup, all of it. I ordered Wednesday AM and it was delivered 2 states away next day afternoon. Had a few issues to work out, but had a more than fair resolution to the issues. They really do take customer service seriously!

On to the subwoofer! I’m placing it in a back corner and using it with their tri-band wireless adapter. Had to make some adjustments behind the entertainment center to free up some outlet room (never fun!), but got it done. The new sub is luckily on a separate house circuit, which is nice. The receiver and transmitter are about 17’ or so from each other with a couch in between (not a perfectly clean shot). I’ll also mention for anyone considering the adapter, that I have my main wireless mesh router about 15’ from both units (some other wireless devices too). There seems to be no issues with the tech working as advertised.

Both subs are alive and kicking! I’ll run Audyssey tomorrow when things are quiet and people won’t be interfere. My biggest hope is that the calibrated distance is less than the max allowed by my Denon x47000 / Audyssey XT32. For the time being, I set it at the max 7.22m. Fingers crossed, it’ll be a smooth calibration! (No REW or mic here, so not a viable solution at this time.)

I did play some test scenes and music this evening and she’s bringing the boom!! I’ll post an update tomorrow about how the calibration goes with the wireless adapter.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The second one is here and mostly set up!

Let me start by saying that SVS is a great company to work with. Ordering, discounts, tech setup, all of it. I ordered Wednesday AM and it was delivered 2 states away next day afternoon. Had a few issues to work out, but had a more than fair resolution to the issues. They really do take customer service seriously!

On to the subwoofer! I’m placing it in a back corner and using it with their tri-band wireless adapter. Had to make some adjustments behind the entertainment center to free up some outlet room (never fun!), but got it done. The new sub is luckily on a separate house circuit, which is nice. The receiver and transmitter are about 17’ or so from each other with a couch in between (not a perfectly clean shot). I’ll also mention for anyone considering the adapter, that I have my main wireless mesh router about 15’ from both units (some other wireless devices too). There seems to be no issues with the tech working as advertised.

Both subs are alive and kicking! I’ll run Audyssey tomorrow when things are quiet and people won’t be interfere. My biggest hope is that the calibrated distance is less than the max allowed by my Denon x47000 / Audyssey XT32. For the time being, I set it at the max 7.22m. Fingers crossed, it’ll be a smooth calibration! (No REW or mic here, so not a viable solution at this time.)

I did play some test scenes and music this evening and she’s bringing the boom!! I’ll post an update tomorrow about how the calibration goes with the wireless adapter.
If you run Audyssey it won't matter what the current settings are particularly aside from amount of gain dialed in on the sub amps. The delay (distance) might work out fine, but best to just measure separately.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Calibration went well. Did an initial calibration using c weighted decibel meter to get both subs at roughly 87dB. Ran a 3 point calibration and got the distances and sound levels. Sound levels were -10.5 and -11.5 for subs and the distances were 4.44 and 7.45, just over the max that the AVR allows. However, with the distance correction applied (x 0.875) it came in at 6.52: just under the threshold!

I ran a second 3 point calibration after making a slight adjustment to the new sub’s gain. Ended up both subs came in at -10.5 for the sound level. Then made a full 8 point calibration and things sound great!

At some point, I’ll get REW and a Umik-1 to dial it in even more. But for now, it sounds fantastic!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis