J

jetblack1022

Audiophyte
So I was cleaning out my parents' attic, and I came across a bunch of old audio equipment. Now I don't know too much about the details of this stuff, but I can recognize unusual items when I see them. I came across a Revox A77 reel-to-reel player... but it has a European power cable. I found some adapters to use it in NA outlets, and the thing is in EXCELLENT condition. Just wondering if this is normal attic junk, or something worth holding onto...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
A reel to reel tape machine isn't of much use unless you have old tapes to play or have another means to record to it. I wouldn't just throw it away though, it's the kind of thing that collectors may be very interested in and it may actually be worth a few bucks.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Collectors are interested in most Revox units,Revox made some very hi end gear which would lead me to believe that the rest of the gear in the attic is also hi end.Look for names like Quad,Mcintosh,Dynaco,Telefunkin,Marantz just to name a few.

If you find any manuals or factory packing material do not throw any away,any related materials will add value to a collector.

Im not a collector of RTR tape machines but i do collect vintage amps & preamps,if you post the other models that you found i could help with the valuation.

Depending on what you found you could be looking at some serious money:eek:

J

jetblack1022

Audiophyte
That reel-to-reel is definitely not junk. It may even be able to run on 110V 60 Hz. They had lifetime warrantees.

http://www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/A77.htm

If you also found some older tube gear up there you might have found a gold mine.
I checked out the link you posted, and it seems the one I have is a Revox A77 Dolby B tape recorder... and it can run on 110V 60 Hz... Someone else mentioned a Marantz... well there was a Marantz reciever I found that I have up in my office right now, don't remember the model number, but the thing sounds AMAZING... I'll get the model number and see if I can get someone to help me with the valuation on that too.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Model numbers are everything my friend,after that condition will dictate price,any flaws will detract from value,no flaws or scratches will send collectors into a bidding frenzy on ebay.:eek::D

There is one vintage Marantz receiver thats fetching around $2,500 right now.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Revox!!! Holy cow, your parents bought good stuff. I have only seen one (back in the 70's). Very high grade Swiss company.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis