C

crazyd1415

Enthusiast
Just wondering if audioholics ever does reviews on studio monitors? I don't know how common they are for home music listening set ups but I've been auditioning a lot of them lately and have been very impressed with a lot of them especially with the price and considering they don't need amps. I am on the verge of buying the mackie HR824 but if I had the money I would have gotten the Event Studio Precision 8's. Several of the JBL's also sounded great.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Bear in mind that not all studio monitors will sound great in home theatres. Many are designed to be used from a very close distance, such as a mixing desk, not from several feet away. Because of this some have tweeters that are designed with limited dispersion, which again can affect HT sound. Several people have had good luck with them, but others found the sound not to their liking. Many studio monitors are used with amps and a lot of other gear, much more so than home speakers.

Bottom line is speakers are like bicycle seats, what is great for you may be painful for some one else.

Jack

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
Can somebody clarify here? What's the difference in a pair of studio monitors vs. a pair of good "home" speakers? At the end of the day, isn't any good speaker a good thing? I'm going the opposite direction where I've been looking at home theater speakers inplace of studio monitors.

Thanks.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
Can somebody clarify here? What's the difference in a pair of studio monitors vs. a pair of good "home" speakers? At the end of the day, isn't any good speaker a good thing? I'm going the opposite direction where I've been looking at home theater speakers inplace of studio monitors.

Thanks.
They're used for completely different purposes. It all comes down to what you like and what works. Lots of studio monitors are self powered AND nearfield, so you would need a preamp (as opposed to a reciever, unless it has pre-outs) and if you sit more then say 4 feet away the soundfield will be distorted.
A lot of people also don't prefer an entirely clinical sound for home listening. For example Onix X speakers are pretty laid back on the top end, you wouldn't want to mix with those, and you also wouldn't want to mix with say, a Bose system that is just all over the place (just an example).
Then there are studios that use high end home speakers for monitoring. Abbey Road uses B&W 80somethings, and that MapleShade or whoever, uses Gallo Reference 3s. Different uses, and different tastes.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
crazyd1415,

I actually had about the same question, though worded a little differently.
I was a little more specific and pointed towards JBL PRO LSR4300, and LSR6300 series. I wanted to call Tom or Clint and beg for a review, and maybe a comparison to RBH 41SE, and 61SE. I couldnt find any reviews of them being used in a 5.1. Now with the release and hype buildup of the Ascend's Sierra 1's, I am torn 3 ways. Hopefully someone will review the Ascend's and compare them to the RBH bookshelves.

One person pointed out to me that pro / studio speakers mostly do a poor job off-axis and have a worse front soundstage; but a great job on-axis. Whereas home speakers have it better balanced.

Below is a quote from JBL.
"absolute accuracy at the mix position." What if you are on a couch, and not at the sweetspot (ie: mix position)?

Introducing the new JBL LSR4300 Studio Monitors featuring RMC™ Room Mode Correction, JBL's exclusive technology that automatically analyzes and corrects the response of each speaker in the room for absolute accuracy at the mix position. The first studio monitors with powerful network intelligence built into each speaker specifically designed to deliver an accurate mix in any room, the LSR4300's are the ultimate monitor for modern production studios. The LSR4300 models feature stunning JBL sound, provide accurate mixes in any workspace, and are priced well within the reach of any project studio. The first self aware monitoring system, they're the only choice for music, post, broadcast, Surround 5.1, and beyond.

C

crazyd1415

Enthusiast
I didn't consider the monitors for surround sound. the way I'd have my monitors set up is on my computer desk so I'm pretty much right in front of the speakers. But when I was auditioning, a lot of times the speakers weren't exactly positioned correctly but still sounded good. I'd say check out guitar center and listen to the jbl's. I don't know if they'd have a 5.1 set up for it but maybe they do.

T

tim916

Audiophyte
They're used for completely different purposes. It all comes down to what you like and what works. Lots of studio monitors are self powered AND nearfield, so you would need a preamp (as opposed to a reciever, unless it has pre-outs) and if you sit more then say 4 feet away the soundfield will be distorted.
Please show us some data to back up your claim that the soundfield will be "distorted" if one sits more than 4 feet way from a pair of studio monitors. How exactly does one engineer a speaker exclusively for nearfield listening?

Genelec and ATC have both marketed virtually identical speakers for both nearfield studio monitoring and home theater use. Same drivers, cabinets, amps, crossover points etc. Do you suppose that they expect HT users to sit within 4 ft of their 50"+ tv's? Well, Genelec does offer different veneers on their home audio line so maybe that is the secret to keeping the soundfield non-distorted when listening from more than 4 ft away.

I have yet to see a solid argument supported by actual data for why "nearfield" studio monitors cannot be used successfully in a home theater, so until you or someone else can provide one, please stop disseminating this myth.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Please show us some data to back up your claim that the soundfield will be "distorted" if one sits more than 4 feet way from a pair of studio monitors. How exactly does one engineer a speaker exclusively for nearfield listening?

Genelec and ATC have both marketed virtually identical speakers for both nearfield studio monitoring and home theater use. Same drivers, cabinets, amps, crossover points etc. Do you suppose that they expect HT users to sit within 4 ft of their 50"+ tv's? Well, Genelec does offer different veneers on their home audio line so maybe that is the secret to keeping the soundfield non-distorted when listening from more than 4 ft away.

I have yet to see a solid argument supported by actual data for why "nearfield" studio monitors cannot be used successfully in a home theater, so until you or someone else can provide one, please stop disseminating this myth.
Nobody has said you can't use studio monitors for HT. It has been brought up that not all studio monitors seem to work equally well in a HT envirnment and the OP should be aware of the intended use of speakers and to compare before buying. You might want to go back and re-read the entire post you find so offensive, it's a generalization, and I think a fairly good one for the average person.

Jack

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General

Thanks.

Absolutely right, Studio monitors are though designed for nearfield placement but the Yamaha NS-1000 was an exception, it was a great studio monitor and an equally great home speaker.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
This is being brought up on alot of other forums..the best thing to do is just try and demo some studio monitors. When i was looking at speakers to compare with my iq3s i checked out alot of different studio monitors and most DO NOT have a wide sound stage along with a very narrow sweet spot plus a very flat sound.

This is perfect for mixing and editing music but not always good for HT use.

But again like everyone says over and over, its all on the user. The best thing to do is try to make some time and go listen to some so you know what your buying.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have a pair of Roland Studio Monitors for my mixing board that I run my synth and drum machine through.

While great for sitting down and listening to a mix and sampling, in general I wouldn't use a Studio Monitor for HT applications.

They can get loud, but really aren't meant to. They are designed for near field listening and very flat, but accurate, sound reproduction.

I would say stick to speakers designed for HT/Music reproduction in a larger environment.

BTW, I have owned more than one pair of studio monitors through the years (JBL, Audio Technica etc...)

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
I have a pair of Roland Studio Monitors for my mixing board that I run my synth and drum machine through.

While great for sitting down and listening to a mix and sampling, in general I wouldn't use a Studio Monitor for HT applications.

They can get loud, but really aren't meant to. They are designed for near field listening and very flat, but accurate, sound reproduction.

I would say stick to speakers designed for HT/Music reproduction in a larger environment.

BTW, I have owned more than one pair of studio monitors through the years (JBL, Audio Technica etc...)
jinjuku,
What about for studio work? Have you ever gone the other way and used regular speakers for monitors? I was thinking about using a pair of wall mounted maggies in my apartment to keep things flush. From your experience is there a big difference between monitors and egrualr HT speakers?

Thanks.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
I think if you were to use speakers for your home as monitors it would not relay a natural sound. Meaning it wont give you that flat natural sound of what your editing/mixing..so after all your adjustments the overall material may actually sound worse ir just not as you expected.

But at the same time their is people who use regular home speakers in studios..soo to each his own.

jinjuku

jinjuku

jinjuku,
What about for studio work? Have you ever gone the other way and used regular speakers for monitors? I was thinking about using a pair of wall mounted maggies in my apartment to keep things flush. From your experience is there a big difference between monitors and egrualr HT speakers?

Thanks.
I wouldn't consider it. IMO there is a difference. Speakers/Studio monitors are tools like everything else. Use the right tool for the job.

This thread is getting longer than need be. If studio monitors made great HT speakers they would be marketed as such.

They simply aren't made for it...

T

tim916

Audiophyte
This thread is getting longer than need be. If studio monitors made great HT speakers they would be marketed as such.

They simply aren't made for it...
Then why are Genelecs used in many high-end home theaters? :confused:

jinjuku

jinjuku

Then why are Genelecs used in many high-end home theaters? :confused:
I wasn't talking about specifics. IN GENERAL STUDIO MONITORS AREN'T MEANT TO BE USED AS HT LOUDSPEAKERS.

god damn. I know there is always the exception to the rule. You people kill me...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis