Student needs advice about H/K 230

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
Hey all,
I'm a student that is about to start building my HT, and I've been reading up on this forum. I have a limited budget (sub $400) and am looking for a receiver to power, so far, 2 Athena AS-F2 Floor speakers. If anything sound is my main issue and not so much the bells and whistles. I like my stuff to sound neutral to dark ("warm"?), b/c of my classical music background. My main concern is how will the H/K 230 sound driving the speakers? Will it seem dull or be "underdriven?"

Right now I have an old STR-D990 Sony receiver given to me from my old man. Another receiver I'm considering is the Onkyo tx-sr601. However, since music is the main concern for me, I'm also thinking of a 2 channel receiver to drive my speakers and chunking the HT thing until I am more settled :D . THose are a lot of considerations, but, first, some of y'alls opinions. I appreciate any help given. Thanks,

David

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As long as you have sufficient power, the speakers will be at least 99% responible for determining the overall sound of the system. IOW, if you don't like the sound of the Athena's now, don't expect an amp to change your mind. Conversley, if you do like the sound of 'em, don't expect an epiphany with a new amp. More power may help a little, but it won't change the overall sound.

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. So at 50wpc channel with the h/k 230 it would seem like the athenas would be fairly underdriven as compared to the onkyo system? I have always understood that with Floorstanders the more power the better, and with the Athenas max output at 250W it would seem that 50W wouldn't cut it.

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
Coo... that's a great review, Jared. I appreciate, but after some deliberation I've decided to go with a 2 channel system for now. I'm looking into the H/K 3480, which seems perfect to drive the athenas. Later on, when I am actually making money and settled down then I can seriously invest in a HT system, and the 3480 system would be purely for listening to music. If anyone has any good reviews or personal experiences with the H/K 3480 I'd appreciate the comments. Thanks,

David

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I've heard the 3480 is a nice piece and I like H/K, but I was in a similar situation to you earlier in the year and I went with NAD. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. The NAD will provide robust power supplies to drive the speakers. I own the C370, but check out the C352, C350, C370, C372, and C320BEE. VERY nice quality and value.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
hipchack said:
Thanks for the reply. So at 50wpc channel with the h/k 230 it would seem like the athenas would be fairly underdriven as compared to the onkyo system? I have always understood that with Floorstanders the more power the better, and with the Athenas max output at 250W it would seem that 50W wouldn't cut it.
Don't be deceived by the power rating. H/K underrates their specs. I'm actually looking for a 230 now.

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
nm2285 said:
I am extremely pleased with my purchase. The NAD will provide robust power supplies to drive the speakers. I own the C370, but check out the C352, C350, C370, C372, and C320BEE. VERY nice quality and value.
Does the NAD C370 come with video inputs? What made you decide with the NAD compared to everything else? I wasn't considering NAD since I didn't know of any dealers but I looked through their website and have located one. I'll check them out. Thanks :D

Last edited:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
No, no video inputs. I chose the NAD for a few reasons:
1) It looks and feels like it's bullet proof
2) I have speakers rated at 86 dB and wanted plenty of power to drive them
3) Overall sound quality-I don't believe anything in its price range (especially now that it's discounted) can touch it.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Yup I agree with the previous poster that HKs have conservating power ratings. But if you want to start off with stereo, I think that would be a better route to start if you are into music most of the time with a limited budget. Bear in mind that almost all the recordings out there are in stereo. Even the multi channel SACDs and DVD-As can be played in 2 ch stereo.

But with an entry-level receiver, you may not have all the upgrade flexibility later one. Do try to get one with a preamp output so you can use more powerful or better external power amps later on. Just my thoughts.

annunaki

annunaki

Yes, the AVR 230 is only 6.1. The 3480 would also be a great choice, especially with it's bulit in composite video switching. It is a brute of a receiver, and souds great to boot.

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
I do appreciate all of the help and responses. This weekend or maybe next I will go listen to the NAD receivers for some comparisons. Sadly, the only place I to listen to H/K equipment is at Circuit City or Fry's, whereas the NAD is at a Hifi store. I do want to watch movies using the receiver with some good impressions which makes me lean towards the H/K's VMAx technology and video input, but the NAD 372 (and 370?) has 2 preamp outputs. Anyway, both are within my pricerange so now it all gets subjective from here :0). Thanks again,

David

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Im not sure why you need a NAD C370 or HK3480 to drive the Athena's. Those speakers have a sensitivity of 93db. Which is very efficient and will work just fine with the HK. The HK 230 will drive the Athenas with authority in a reasonable sized room. Besides the HK has pre amp out puts for all channels. If you find you need more power then add a killer 2 channel amp to solve the problem.(Which I dont think youll need.) Dont get me wrong all the products mentioned here are great. But you dont need the other amps to drive the Athenas the HK230 is fine. Besides the power increases to 65wpc in stereo. Plenty of power for those Athenas. This way you have the ability to go the home theatre route as well.

Just my two cents.

Cheers
Glenn

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis