Stuck in a Denon X6400H / X4400H Dilemma => Your advice please

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gents,

Sorry for the delay. When I got the 4400, it has dual fans installed on the bottom of the unit which are visible through the vent slots. I would hope that a Brand such as Denon would need be so poorly designed that a supplemental fan would be required to assure reliable operation.

But you have me intrigued with these. How do you power the Fan as it's USB? Do you buy a separate 120 VAC to USB PSU?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hi Gents,

Sorry for the delay. When I got the 4400, it has dual fans installed on the bottom of the unit which are visible through the vent slots. I would hope that a Brand such as Denon would need be so poorly designed that a supplemental fan would be required to assure reliable operation.

But you have me intrigued with these. How do you power the Fan as it's USB? Do you buy a separate 120 VAC to USB PSU?
My 4300 runs just fine without additional fans FWIW.

I do have an AC Infinity setup for my office equipment closet and they make a set for what you need. They have nice little wall controller that just has a high, medium, low setting for the fan. Not too expensive.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Gents,

Jim, those internal fans are temperature controlled and won't turn on until the heat sinks get quite hot. Put it this way, I believe you can count on those fans to keep your unit in good working condition for the warranty period, but if you want it to last much longer, an external fan on top will go a long way for sure.

I can tell you the AVR-X4400H just idling runs quite a bit warmer than the AV8801. It's preamp and power amp sections are probably biased a little higher, to minimize crossover distortions. If that is one of the reasons(hopeful it is), it would be a good thing, and with even just one small Infinity fan, it can be kept cool enough.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just don't put your AVR in this cabinet like in this picture from CRUTCHFIELD! :eek:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just don't put your AVR in this cabinet like in this picture from CRUTCHFIELD! :eek:

We had a floor demo Onkyo 605 in a cabinet like that. It got so hot that it warped the wood. Cabinet had a glass door on it that made it even worse. Sucker was like $600 and they couldn't design a good TV stand/cabinet to save their lives. Sucks that people just buy this stuff without thinking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis