Struggling with Yamaha MusicCast set up

D

Digital Sound

Audiophyte
This week I setup 5 WXA 50 devices. Here is how I was able to successfully place all 5 on wifi.
1) attach device to wired lan
2) use Connect button to attach device to MusicCast app
3) get WXA 50 IP from MusicCast app (under advanced settings)
4) point browser to above IP
5) use the browser interface to configure the wifi settings (SSID, password). You could also use WPS pin for auto-config wifi if you know how. I did that with 3 devices, and 2 fully manually.
6) disconnected the wired lan
7) WXA 50 was now on wifi

In case you're wondering why the heck I did it that way, I would share with you that I am not new to this and yet found many dead ends when trying the "out of the manual" ways. I am willing to accept that I may have missed something fundamental. However, after some moments of frustration while attempting the "user friendly way" I fell back to my own fundamentals and hit the IP address directly (aka power user mode). I wish that wasn't necessary as I know (for example) my parents could never install this device.

One of the things I am grappling with right now is: one of the WXA 50 devices keeps losing it's settings and needs to be "re-installed." It puzzles me because the others are stable. I am giving it one last try then going to activate the "protect memory" in advanced settings and see if that helps. If anyone has experiences an issue like I just mentioned, let me know what you did to solve it.

ds

S

Sense

Audiophyte
I had this exact same problem with a Yamaha YAS-306 soundbar.

My solution was just to temporarily remove the security on my WiFi. Then follow the MusicCast connection guide in-app, selected the network but without the need to enter a password.

Once connected, it then updated the soundbars firmware OTA, with the firmware updated I accessed the soundbars web interface via the IPA allocated e.e. 192.xxx.x.x by my network and in there I changed the connection setting for the WiFi i.e. I added my usual WiFi password and checked the security WPA/WPA2 was supported.

With that done, I re-secured my home network and it worked. Yay!

Hope that helps someone else out there.

Cheers

Sens

C

Craig Shaw

Audiophyte
I had a similar problem with error code 20305 or something. Basically it wouldnt connect to my WiFi although it used to. Tried all above advice to no avail, then it comes to using the wireless printer later on in the day and we couldnt get that to work until i reset the router. I then tried reconnecting the WXC-50 and it worked! Sometimes the simplest solutions are overlooked.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This week I setup 5 WXA 50 devices. Here is how I was able to successfully place all 5 on wifi.
5) use the browser interface to configure the wifi settings (SSID, password). You could also use WPS pin for auto-config wifi if you know how. I did that with 3 devices, and 2 fully manually.

In case you're wondering why the heck I did it that way, I would share with you that I am not new to this and yet found many dead ends when trying the "out of the manual" ways. I am willing to accept that I may have missed something fundamental. However, after some moments of frustration while attempting the "user friendly way" I fell back to my own fundamentals and hit the IP address directly (aka power user mode). I wish that wasn't necessary as I know (for example) my parents could never install this device.

One of the things I am grappling with right now is: one of the WXA 50 devices keeps losing it's settings and needs to be "re-installed." It puzzles me because the others are stable. I am giving it one last try then going to activate the "protect memory" in advanced settings and see if that helps. If anyone has experiences an issue like I just mentioned, let me know what you did to solve it.

ds
Are you unable to run cable to the WXA-50 locations?

highfigh

highfigh

I had a similar problem with error code 20305 or something. Basically it wouldnt connect to my WiFi although it used to. Tried all above advice to no avail, then it comes to using the wireless printer later on in the day and we couldnt get that to work until i reset the router. I then tried reconnecting the WXC-50 and it worked! Sometimes the simplest solutions are overlooked.
As annoying as it is to hear tech support tell us that the first step is to disconnect the power from routers, it's based in real world results and it works. A lot of HDMI problems can be solved by doing this, too.

highfigh

highfigh

I called Yamaha's other line and told him that the 800 number wasn't picking up- I tried this AM after reading this thread and it rang, didn't pick up and went to fast busy signal.

He told me to look in the Advanced 2 setup for Bluetooth- turn Standby and Privacy to ON. This will prevent it responding to just any BT signal, as opposed to the devices it had been linked to.

burialchamber

burialchamber

Audiophyte
You guys are a sanity saver. I've been a MusicCast user for 2 years. Started with an NX-N500, but wanted more bass (Yamaha really should have added subwoofer capability to them). Eventually figured out that linking to a YSP-2700 would do the job, but now got locked into upgrade mode and have ended up with multiple speakers (6 x WX-010, 3 x WX-030, an R-N803D plus a pair of Kef R700s and a pair of REL T-zeros.

I live in an old stone house over 4 miles from the cabinet. On a good day I get a 230kbps download speed, more often it's down to 130-150kbps or worse. As I added more speakers to my system I inevitably started to get annoying wifi dropouts. Yamaha customer services pointed me in the direction of home plugs, so I've been struggling to set up a Devolo AV 500 Wireless+ system properly, and seem to have finally got there, but that's another story.

Paired with a BT Smart Hub 6 (which in my experience pushes wifi further round this old house than a Netgear D6400) I now have decent wifi. But after all the failed attempts to get MusicCast running smoothly, some conflicts seemed to develop which were preventing me from pairing and linking the 4 x WX-010s in my bedroom. As we know, no instructions are provided for factory re-setting; hence my search which brought me to this forum. I re-set the speakers as follows:

Unplug speaker, press volume + & - buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.
Plug back in and immediately press power/connect button for 3 seconds.
Single light pulses 3 times, then 2 lights come on.
Tap off button to revert to 1 light.
Repeat with other speaker(s).
Individual speakers should now be listed in the app.
Pair as normal.
Conflicts should be cleared and linking should now work again.

MusicCast is presently working wirelessly in all rooms on the home plug system. Long may it last!

There really should be a dedicated MusicCast users forum. Many thanks to everyone who's shared their knowledge here and helped me out.

highfigh

highfigh

Google 'MusicCast Forum'- you'll find a lot of info.

The thing that may have been omitted- if you have a way to centrally locate the router in your house and it's wired to the internet, you should have decent performance from the MusicCast but that depends on interior walls, shape of the house, etc.

F

fwx030

Audiophyte
Guys,
i followed WX-030 Manual Wireless Setup instruction on their website and tried to reset the wifi connection manually many times, but it didn't work.

I used to work it out by reboot my router, but i don't recall when should i reboot my router.
should i close app after i get the ip address?
Should i reboot the router right after i changed the wireless lan? or reboot router after i reboot WX030?
Thanks,

M

madispuk

Audiophyte
Solution: pull your router out from the wall and put it back in.

J

Jimmy Bond

Enthusiast
had an issue doing setup today on a new MusicCast 20 speaker, "Setup failed. please restart setup. (-10327)" Lucky for me I stumbled on this forum... and just when I was saying to myself reading this most helpful post "wow this looks really useful, glad someone took the time to post it", I realized it was posted by ME over two years ago :rolleyes:, different error code but and it worked...again! (thanks, me!)

So the moral of the story is that while setup should be hopefully seamless for you, if you run into an error code trying to set up your new MusicCast device to connect to wifi - whether MusicCast 20 or WX-030 or whatever other new Yamaha device - try these steps as it worked for me on two occasions, then and now:

1) plug Yamaha device into power and hardwired ethernet
2) power on device, go to MusicCast app on phone and find and add it as device (should be fast)
3) still in app, look up IP address for the new device in app settings (click settings cog, cluick on device, click "Information", look under 'network' for IP address)
4) from another device on same local network (computer, laptop, phone, etc) type that IP address into a web browser. Should arrive at Yamaha menu and it should say it is on wired connection. Change network type to wireless and input network name, security setting, and password
5) now, unplug Yamaha device from ethernet, power cycle and it should be on the wireless network

highfigh

highfigh

ds
If possible, leave them wired- anything that can be wired to the network should stay wired, for performance. WiFi is for hand-held devices, devices that have no ethernet port and for convenience, nothing more.

I would bet that the signal strength and throughput at the piece that's dropping off of the network isn't as good as for the others- another reason to hard wire.

BTW- the WXA and WXC models have a switch on the rear for turning WiFi ON/OFF- if it's hard wired, leave it off.

N

nikegds

Audiophyte
I have tried all the above and for the life of me nothing works.

C

Csakezertregisztralt

Audiophyte
I have tried all the above and for the life of me nothing works.
Neither did I.
BUT!

Since it’s 2021 and I was able to run into the same issue leads me to this forum and the only place with a chance to an aswer, yet it doesn’t - I though it would be nice if I’d share the solution.

Just RTFM! :)
After I’ve read through all answers here I tried them all (none of them works though) I thought I should read what the manuals Troubleshooting part says and it goes like this:
PROBLEM:
“This unit is not detected with the MusicCast CONTROLLER app on your mobile device.”
{Here we go.. KINDA...}

CAUSE:
“Your mobile device is connected to the secondary SSID of a router supporting multi SSID.”

SOLUTION:
When your mobile device is connected to the secondary SSID, access to the device connecting to the primary SSID or LAN is restricted (only Internet access is available). Connect your mobile device to the primary SSID.
Multiple routers are connected between your connecting devices (double router).

And hey! It is! :)
Good luck!

highfigh

highfigh

As I have posted far too many times, "Wired is for performance, wireless is for convenience". Period.

Also, many routers have 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands- the phone needs to be on the 2.4GHz band if it's the device being used for setup.

Better to find the IP address of the MusicCast piece and log in with a computer- the setup is easier to navigate.

daddyo

daddyo

Audiophyte
should I be able to access Amazon Music directly from MusicCast app on RX-A660 receiver or WXA-050 amp ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis