Struggling with Yamaha MusicCast set up

S

smclaren

Audiophyte
Hello everyone

Just bought a set of these bad guys. Yamaha NX-N500 Speakers.

yamaha-nx-n500-8-920x517.jpg

Got them working well with the speakers hard wired (cat 5) into the router using the MusicCast app on iPhone v 9.2. .... But can't get the speakers to connect to the wifi once the cable is pulled.

I have followed the instructions in the manual .... As per the following.

Go through the app wireless set up ...
- press connect button for 3 seconds on speakers
- speakers reconsider the phone
- Go to IOS wi-fi setting
- Choose MusicCast Setup as SSID
- Back to app.
- Waiting for connection
- Recognizes the WiFi SSID
- Enter WiFi password for the 50th time ... (checked password is correct 50 times)
- BOOM - FAIL
- Error code "Setup Failed. Please restart Setup. (-10305)

Tried it on my iPad as well ... same result :(

Obviously I am missing a step some where ... would appreciate some assistance lest I go nuts !!! :-/

I cant even reference that error code in any meaningful way on the Internet net either.

Thanks in advance.

sm.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
The most likely problem is going to be some wifi incompatibility between these speakers and your wifi setup. It may be the wifi router you have is either too old or too new or the wifi security settings are not compatible for some strange reason. First thing to try is take the speakers round to somewhere else and try the same steps on a different wifi network. If it works there then it is a problem with your router. See if there are any wifi security settings you can adjust like switching between WPA2 PSK and WPA PSK (Note that only WPA2 PSK is safe anymore). If you just can't fix it then you can either replace your router or find a cheap Wifi access point/router and dedicate it just for your speakers connection.

Ari Kukkonen

Ari Kukkonen

Audiophyte
I have exactly same problem with my new Yamaha WXC-50. Tried creating a new wifi-network, no luck. Tried changing security on wifi, no luck either.
smclaren, were you able to fix the problem?

B

badmojo

Audiophyte
I need help as well... RX781 as receiver (and the Musiccast setup worked) but not for the new remote speaker WX030. I get the "Setup Failed" every time I try through the iPad app. Have a new ASUS-router (Dualband - have switched between 5Ghz etc, not working).

Seen a lot of people having the same problem. How is this mess possible in 2017...

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We have had quite a few posts on MusicCast. I don't think any of the problems have been solved here. It seems to me that MusicCast is vapor ware.

I think there is a trend here, and advice at the end of it. Don't buy Internet/streaming gear from manufacturers whose primary business is not IT and Internet access.

Even is you do there still may be issues. I have just had to load my expensive router with community free ware after removing the factory software, to get it to basically perform like it should. It really works well now.

It seems there is a good chance now when buying anything relying on software, you will get bad soft ware right out of the box, that the manufacturer will make no honest attempt to solve. Welcome to the real world 2017.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Bluesound and Sonos have both been very successful with implementing wireless sound. My choice is Bluesound for reasons other than connectivity (BlueOS and MQA), and it's been great.

highfigh

highfigh

Hello everyone

Just bought a set of these bad guys. Yamaha NX-N500 Speakers.

Got them working well with the speakers hard wired (cat 5) into the router using the MusicCast app on iPhone v 9.2. .... But can't get the speakers to connect to the wifi once the cable is pulled.

I have followed the instructions in the manual .... As per the following.

Go through the app wireless set up ...
- press connect button for 3 seconds on speakers
- speakers reconsider the phone
- Go to IOS wi-fi setting
- Choose MusicCast Setup as SSID
- Back to app.
- Waiting for connection
- Recognizes the WiFi SSID
- Enter WiFi password for the 50th time ... (checked password is correct 50 times)
- BOOM - FAIL
- Error code "Setup Failed. Please restart Setup. (-10305)

Tried it on my iPad as well ... same result :(

Obviously I am missing a step some where ... would appreciate some assistance lest I go nuts !!! :-/

I cant even reference that error code in any meaningful way on the Internet net either.

Thanks in advance.

sm.
Do a speed test AT THE LOCATION used for the MusicCast piece. DO the firmware update before anything else, since it's wired.

Why are you hardwiring for the setup? If you plan to use it wirelessly, you don't need to do that. I set up a Yamaha AVR, a WXA-50 (MusicCast with amplifier) and two WXC-50 (MusicCast with preamp out) and none had problems with connection.

Describe the location for the speaker- do you have thick plaster walls, masonry, etc?

They have a customer support line if you need it. They also have online chat.

highfigh

highfigh

We have had quite a few posts on MusicCast. I don't think any of the problems have been solved here. It seems to me that MusicCast is vapor ware.

I think there is a trend here, and advice at the end of it. Don't buy Internet/streaming gear from manufacturers whose primary business is not IT and Internet access.

Even is you do there still may be issues. I have just had to load my expensive router with community free ware after removing the factory software, to get it to basically perform like it should. It really works well now.

It seems there is a good chance now when buying anything relying on software, you will get bad soft ware right out of the box, that the manufacturer will make no honest attempt to solve. Welcome to the real world 2017.
The vast majority of people who have problems with MusicCast never read the manual and/or don't make connections of this kind often enough to know what might be causing the problems. I didn't read the manual until I needed to change the remote control code ID in the MusicCast pieces but the connection happened quickly and without any frustration. The manufacturers don't launch this kind of product in hopes that they'll be flooded with trouble calls, trust me. It's not vaporware and IT isn't voodoo, known only by a small number of gnomes in a dense forest. OTOH, the people who sell network hardware are full of crap and lie to dealers and installers every time they open their cake holes, so misinformation flies fast and furious, all over. Companies that label someone elses' products as their own go around telling us that it's the best way to achieve a great-performing network and then, they run away when people have trouble with it. So far, the Yamaha equipment has been more reliable than most, with the possible exception of Sonos, which actually WAS a networking company before entering the audio market and they're in the inverse position of the ones you referred to in your post- they really AREN'T an audio company and their target is consumers who want a simple solution. Denon/HEOS and Yamaha/MusicCast sound better and have several features that are very useful to someone who installs them professionally or for advanced hobbyists- they hav optical in/out, digital coax out, analog line out, subwoofer out, 12VDC trigger, IR in/out, more power and the ability to drive 4 Ohm loads without falling on their face. Sonos Connect Amp has a pair of inputs, subwoofer out andone pair of speaker terminals. The Connect has optical and coax in/out, a pair of analog in and out, two ethernet ports and a power port and that's all. That's OK if someone wants to use it as a simple source, but many people want a small system for an office or pre-existing system, garage, patio, etc- this is very limited.

Sonos includes two ethernet ports, which are useful when more than one Sonos peice is near another or others will be hard wired but using only WiFi for Sonos doesn't always work, even in a place that SHOULD allow it. I installed three Sonos Play One speakers in a small clothing shop and I heard the confirmation tone from all three, but the connection to the one that's farthest from the router wasn't reliable. I called tech support and was told that it's usually best to hard wire one piece and use that as the antenna for the others or add their hub. Denon and Yamaha each has a similar hub, so the problems with WiFi don't need to exist. One thing the HEOS speakers have that makes them a better option for some people is the use of an external computer-type power supply with a barrel connector at the end. Since this is low voltage, it would allow someone who has wall-mounted speakers to use the speaker cable to send power to the speaker and avoid the need to hire an electrician to install a receptacle in a place where it would never be in normal use. Since the power supply is current-limited low voltage, using CL2/CL3 speaker cable is allowed.

Yamaha's tech support has proved themselves, to me- I don't remember receiving this kind of attention from any other manufacturer, unless I know someone. My e-mails and phone calls are returned and they come with answers that work, while support staff from most other companies just say "Wow! I haven't seen that before". I was tired of that response 30 years ago and they still use it.

B

badmojo

Audiophyte
I have contacted Yamaha but have low hope of getting an answer (still awaiting a reply from Feb 9 regarding audio output through the reciever - tv-mode refuses to work through the speakers, have to go through the Samsung monitor...).

highfigh

highfigh

I have contacted Yamaha but have low hope of getting an answer (still awaiting a reply from Feb 9 regarding audio output through the reciever - tv-mode refuses to work through the speakers, have to go through the Samsung monitor...).
What is the problem with the TV sound- nothing from optical? And you assigned the input for that correctly?

Try using the IP setup menu- find the IP address of the AVR and add /setup. It's a lot easier to do it than using the remote and the TV. You can do this with the MusicCast pieces, too.

Last edited:
S

STUART Porteous

Audiophyte
I have the same issue. I can't connect to any of my musiccast devices on my Samsung s7 or my wife's iPhone 7. I keep getting the same connection error. It seems to work fine with an old tablet which seems to suggest the app is no longer compatible with new phone software. Has anyone found a solution?

B

badmojo

Audiophyte
I have given up. Did the firmware update. Not working. No support from Yam. Run my Yam speaker through bluetooth sometimes now.

highfigh

highfigh

Assuming you have a desktop or laptop computer, click on the start button, click on Computer and then, click on Network. Look for the MusicCast device- it will show up as whatever you named it, or it will show something about MusicCast. Click on this and you'll be able to open a web-based interface.

The only problem I have seen when someone has tried to connect to a MusicCast piece is incorrectly entering the password- this was caused by using upper or lower case when the other had been entered during setup.

highfigh

highfigh

I have the same issue. I can't connect to any of my musiccast devices on my Samsung s7 or my wife's iPhone 7. I keep getting the same connection error. It seems to work fine with an old tablet which seems to suggest the app is no longer compatible with new phone software. Has anyone found a solution?
Is the network name the same for wired AND WiFi? Do you have something like an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule that's acting as a router or access point and connected to a router/modem from the internet provider, but with a different WiFi network name? That won't work- if the ISP's equipment's WiFi is active and using a different SSID from the second piece, not only will it not work well in general, anything using the ISP's SSID when the MusicCast was setup when connected to the other device (or vise-versa) because they're different networks, even if they do have the same SSID.

Why can't it be hard-wired? It would work better that way, and generally, everything works better. I NEVER connect streaming devices using WIFi unless they don't have an ethernet port and in that case, I place them as close to the router or access point as possible- the only things I want using WiFi are the hand-held devices, like tablets and smart phones. If the computers are laptops, I connect them to the antenna that's closest and if possible, prevent them from moving through the house unless the network can handle the traffic everywhere. Too many devices on one antenna will overload it and slow the network.

H

hockleyjp

Audiophyte
I fixed the same problem by going into my router settings and allowing the mac address of my Yamaha unit on my whitelist. Connected perfect after that.
Im finding alot of new wireless tech needing their mac address approved before it connects

highfigh

highfigh

Have you checked for an update for the MusicCast or your phone apps?

highfigh

highfigh

I have given up. Did the firmware update. Not working. No support from Yam. Run my Yam speaker through bluetooth sometimes now.
What number did you call, or did you try to contact them online? PM the serial number to me and I'll call dealer tech support.

P

ProjectC4

Audiophyte
Just replaced my home theater amp with a Yamaha RX-A1070, I bought two of the smaller wireless speakers, the WX-010 and WX-030 for kitchen and bedroom.

With amp and speakers connected wirelessly Musiccast worked fine from the amp to one speaker. It was choppy at first but I called Yamaha tech support who told me to clear the IP address in the speaker by turning it off, holding up and down volume at same time for 5 sec then turning back on. This was not in the manual. Then it was OK. Adding a second speaker and trying to play both at once made both intermittently choppy. I had to power off/on the router or speakers every day.

After reading a bit online it seemed that getting wired connections helps a lot so I ran an Ethernet wire to the Amp (and a second one to the Blue ray/Netflix player - why not - just as easy to run two). This way the Spotify to the amp and the two speaker signals from the amp to the router were wired and just the two speaker signals from the router to the speakers were wireless, cutting the radio load by 3/5ths. It worked pretty well after that, dead clean first thing in the morning but sometimes Musiccast would lose a speaker and sometimes the sound would get choppy, like when my wife was facebooking via the router at night. So I put the musiccast stuff on its own wireless router on top of my entertainment system. It was still losing speakers even in the app or they would be offline so I had to power cycle them to get them back so I went into the router and assigned fixed IP and MAC addresses for them. It is very stable now, since assigning fixed IP's a couple of days ago. I don't know if anything like this will be dead nuts (wired) perfect but its very good now. I'm not going to use that router for anything else. I think that with a video or web page the PC can buffer some video and if the download speed varies a bit it's OK. But with music which has to all occur at the same time the less stuff the router is trying to do the better.

So I like the system. It took a bit to get it right - the controller app and Musiccast app take some time to learn - the stuff you need is in there - it's like looking for gold coins in a Nintendo game trying to find it all but at the end of the day it's been worth it.

Oh and one more thing - remember your wireless router is a radio - for general reasons you should download a program which shows all the routers around you and what channel they are on (you guessed it - all on the same channel or close) set your router a few channels apart from the others and you'll get much better wireless. And take a look at where your wireless router is, that it can transmit radio well that it's not, like, behind a metal tower PC or something. One day I realized "It's a radio, stupid!!!" And then I fixed its dumb location and channel and got 10x the speed!

highfigh

highfigh

Just replaced my home theater amp with a Yamaha RX-A1070, I bought two of the smaller wireless speakers, the WX-010 and WX-030 for kitchen and bedroom.

With amp and speakers connected wirelessly Musiccast worked fine from the amp to one speaker. It was choppy at first but I called Yamaha tech support who told me to clear the IP address in the speaker by turning it off, holding up and down volume at same time for 5 sec then turning back on. This was not in the manual. Then it was OK. Adding a second speaker and trying to play both at once made both intermittently choppy. I had to power off/on the router or speakers every day.

After reading a bit online it seemed that getting wired connections helps a lot so I ran an Ethernet wire to the Amp (and a second one to the Blue ray/Netflix player - why not - just as easy to run two). This way the Spotify to the amp and the two speaker signals from the amp to the router were wired and just the two speaker signals from the router to the speakers were wireless, cutting the radio load by 3/5ths. It worked pretty well after that, dead clean first thing in the morning but sometimes Musiccast would lose a speaker and sometimes the sound would get choppy, like when my wife was facebooking via the router at night. So I put the musiccast stuff on its own wireless router on top of my entertainment system. It was still losing speakers even in the app or they would be offline so I had to power cycle them to get them back so I went into the router and assigned fixed IP and MAC addresses for them. It is very stable now, since assigning fixed IP's a couple of days ago. I don't know if anything like this will be dead nuts (wired) perfect but its very good now. I'm not going to use that router for anything else. I think that with a video or web page the PC can buffer some video and if the download speed varies a bit it's OK. But with music which has to all occur at the same time the less stuff the router is trying to do the better.

So I like the system. It took a bit to get it right - the controller app and Musiccast app take some time to learn - the stuff you need is in there - it's like looking for gold coins in a Nintendo game trying to find it all but at the end of the day it's been worth it.

Oh and one more thing - remember your wireless router is a radio - for general reasons you should download a program which shows all the routers around you and what channel they are on (you guessed it - all on the same channel or close) set your router a few channels apart from the others and you'll get much better wireless. And take a look at where your wireless router is, that it can transmit radio well that it's not, like, behind a metal tower PC or something. One day I realized "It's a radio, stupid!!!" And then I fixed its dumb location and channel and got 10x the speed!
Think of any wireless device as a desk lamp- if you can see it (open doorways and spaces, not walls and appliances with dense materials) you have good signal and if not, move it or make sure to have an access point closer to where you want to use it. Wired not only allows for faster transmission, it allows more users on the network. I ALWAYS connect devices that aren't hand-held, if they have an ethernet port unless it's physically impossible and if I have a group of devices in a cabinet that need to be connected, I use a work group switch.

Download an app like Ping Lite- you enter the IP address of the device you want to check and start by pinging the router/gateway address to test your phone. You should see a low time delay (a few milliseconds is OK) and if you see that one of the small speakers responds with a long delay, figure out why.

Your comments about the channel are correct, but you need to remember that a lot of WiFi is set up to select the channel automatically.

J

Jimmy Bond

Enthusiast
Hi - I know it is older thread but info on these MusicCast errors is scarce on web. I just had same experience but got it fixed. ***The key is having newest firmware on your musiccast device (in my case WX-030 speaker). Without that, it won't work. **** I was having -10305, -10314, -10320 as assorted error codes and now it is working.

Note that if you can't get it on the wifi you need to update firmware while hardwired to your network as below. Also, you may need to manually push the wifi settings onto your device - instructions on this below (the IP address stuff):

For WX-030 specifically: - power off, press Vol - and + for 5sec, then hold power button for 3sec. This resets your network settings. Then unplug power, connect to network via ethernet, power on, and add it as musiccast device using the app. Then find it in the list of devices in app's settings and update the firmware for the speaker. NOTE YOU CANNOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE VIA THE DIRECT IP SETTINGS DESCRIBED BELOW , EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A FIRMWARE UPDATE TAB (trust me). After updating firmware via musiccast app, in same settings Info page it will show an IP address (or you can find out from your router list of connected devices). Go to that IP address on a computer browser on same network, then in left tab list select NETWORK SETUP, change dropdown to WIRELESS LAN, and enter the wifi network name (SSID) and security type and password (likely WPA2 for newer routers) --- case sensitive for both. Make sure DHCP is 'ON'. Then click apply. Then, unplug speaker power cable, unplug ethernet cable, then plug power back in and boot it up. Allow up to 2min for its boot up to finish and single light (?) to go solid not flashing. Inside musiccast app it might remember tbe room (or reconnect if you 'search' for that room - that worked for me), or apparently you can add it again via the 'Add a device' inside MusicCast. Then, it should be working.

Two hours of troubleshooting and two online chats led to all this, and mine is working again (finally!) so I hope this guide can help someone else. Yamaha tech support was decently helpful as they have a manual setup PDF for WX-030 that they can give link to (and for as long as it stays alive from my chat session, find the pdf HERE: https://www.livehelpnow.net/lhn/console/docview.aspx?c=24040&src=rackspace&s=Chats&ct=application/pdf&f=cde847f0-c916-4064-8ea2-832f2758c591.pdf&of=manual+wireless+setup.pdf) I was reconnecting a WX-030 that has been on my network working fine for months but somehow lost its connection lately when a houseguest paired bluetooth to it. Anyhow, getting it back on to the network was giving me codes -10305, -10314, -10320 as assorted error codes, but with the instructions above I have music again...so firmware (and manually typing wifi SSID/password) is the key!!! Good luck! Hope this helps someone that stumbles on this board via searching the error codes!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis