Streaming Sound Options

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Hey all,

So, I'm rather old-school about many things. I currently have a Parasound Hint integrated that I use for both music and movies. I'm looking hard at replacing my front mains with Arendals, but I'm not there yet. I also have a dual 12" sub that still works well after nearly 30-years. Anyway, the point is that I'm not doing surround sound. I'm using a Roku Ultra for streaming and sending the HDMI output directly to the TV. Then, I'm using the RCA outputs on the TV to get audio to the Parasound. It works, but the sound quality suffers as it passes through the TV. I would like to feed just a stereo signal via RCA to the amp while feeding the TV via HDMI. Unfortunately, all I'm finding are devices with (usually) single HDMI output jacks. I have seen HDMI to RCA converters, but they would allow me to feed audio to the amp but not video to the TV. My background is in audio and I haven't kept up on the video end of things. Any suggestions for how to get the proper signal to the proper devices and improve the sound quality?

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
I did find some audio extractors for as little as $25. Probably worth every penny. Then I found this, which looks to be of better quality along with the typical price increase:

Simplified MFG GAC1

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Can you not connect the TV to the Parasound using a coaxial or optical digital cable?

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Can you not connect the TV to the Parasound using a coaxial or optical digital cable?
Good catch. Yes, there's an optical output on the TV, which is wall-mounted and does get moved around. The amp is about 4-feet away. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Quick follow-up:

So, a $10 optical cable substantially improved audio for both streaming and broadcast TV for me. Previously, both passed through the TV's D/A converter producing entirely predictable results. Switching over to an optical cable moved D/A conversion to the Parasound Hint which is far more capable. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself, but thanks to @Trebdp83 I got the improvement I was looking for cheaply. Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Quick follow-up:

So, a $10 optical cable substantially improved audio for both streaming and broadcast TV for me. Previously, both passed through the TV's D/A converter producing entirely predictable results. Switching over to an optical cable moved D/A conversion to the Parasound Hint which is far more capable. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself, but thanks to @Trebdp83 I got the improvement I was looking for cheaply. Thanks!
Sweet! Now about that 30yo subwoofer…

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Sweet! Now about that 30yo subwoofer…
5cf cabinet with 2 12" drivers and made from 1 1/4" MDF including internal bracing. Built it when I was 30-years younger. Now, I'll have to hire someone to move it for me. It works well getting down to about 20Hz, but it won't keep up with today's subs. Looking hard at a pair of Arendal 1723 Monitors. If I convince myself to go that way they will come first and a sub later. Unless the one I have blends well with them. Then, I's probably just wait and enjoy what I have.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis